Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

What's the process to swap out a faulty HoloLens?

Got my 2 HoloLenses today (yay!)... But one of them suffers from very bad discoloration. The 2 eyes render the same hologram in totally different colors. What is the process I should go through to get it swapped out?

Best Answer

Answers

• BryanBryan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

Here is the same hologram as viewed through the left & right eyes. The left display makes everything very pink/purple. The right display has a subtle rainbow effect, but nothing like the left display. If I close one eye then the other, it's like the holograms are changing colors.

Left:

Right:

My other HoloLens does not have this problem. Everything looks great through it!

• It sounded like @JavierBayArea was recently asking about something similar with his unit.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• BryanBryan ✭✭✭

Yeah, this is much more pronounced than the normal rainbow effect. Like I said, it's only a problem with one of the displays in one of the HoloLenses... Comparing one against the other is night & day. Affects all colors, not just white.

• Have you attempted a device reset via the recovery tool? I imagine that would be the first step that MS is going to have you try.
  • BryanBryan ✭✭✭

I just need a support number/email/form to contact. Anyone from MS know where I should reach out?

• That's how my color distortion looks like, although the cell phone camera exaggerated it a little bit.

I contacted support since this doesnt seem to be normal from what you guys say

• wintermootwintermoot ✭✭
    edited May 2016

I also started seeing a color distortion (yellow) after a few days of use. If I load up a white fbx in 3d viewer its pure white in the left eye and yellow in the right.

Can we get any info on the longevity and durability of the wave guides? How sensitive are they to light and heat? Can we expect color distortion to come and go or increase over time.

The corners of my wave also guides exhibit more distortion than the center; I'm guessing this is to be expected, but even looking dead center into the right wave guide shows yellowing. This lessens the longer I use the device within a session which is odd.

• @Bryan did you ever get your swapped and fixed? I'm having the same problem with mine and they sent me two replacement units; however, they were just as bad. Wondering if this is normal are just bad batch?
  • The HoloLens received at my job has the same issue. I saw it when I was watching videos and the skin color was purple/pink in my left eye. It is like a vertical purple/pink bar in the left screen and the right screen is better but not so much.

• @AR123 said:
    @Bryan did you ever get your swapped and fixed? I'm having the same problem with mine and they sent me two replacement units; however, they were just as bad. Wondering if this is normal are just bad batch?

Did you get the Developer or commercial version?