Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Hololens Usability questions

I have 4 basic questions regarding the hololens.
1. Is there any limit on the maximum numbers of users using it at a time?
2. How users/audience from different perspective can view the content? for example: If i use hololens in a meeting room with 10 attendees. Will the attendees see the same view as the presenter or the view would be different for all the attendees according to their perspective?
3. What if an attendee make a hand gesture? Will that affect the presentation?
4. Will the presenter use just hand gestures to navigate or there would be some other gadget in their hand?

Best Answer

Answers

• Thanks for the response HoloSheep. That was really helpful.

• @HoloSheep : I just wanted to check on something you said above. Let me set up the scene. We are sitting across from each other at a table. You pin a globe of Earth with North & South America facing you. I would also see it, but with North & South America facing me? Or would I be looking at the other side of the Earth from you?

• @Jesse_McCulloch the typical shared experience would be if I see North & South America from my side of the table you would see Russia & China on your side (the oposite side) of the table, until one of use spun the globe.

This was the kind of shared 3D space scenario that you will see if set up the 240 tutorial that we did at Build this year.

I am speculating (with a reasonable level of confidence) that various other kinds of shared experiences could be programed and setup to meet other use cases. If it was desired and made sense for another use case where we both saw North America & South America from different sides of the table it would be a less conventional sharing scenario but I believe you could make those kinds of things work with a number of other caveats on how the interaction would happen... for example if I then spun the globe that I saw... should the globe you see spin as well? Those are details that you would need to decide for such a less conventional scenario.

Since the title of this thread contains the words "HoloLens Usability" it would probably be good to mention that there are a lot of good reasons to try to avoid creating such less conventional experience if you can, but hey is it possible to do, yes I think so.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• @HoloSheep - The experience you just stated is what I would have expected. It was the number 2 reply earlier that I guess I read the wrong way.