Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Emulator black screen when deploying Unity APP

I created a simple application using unity, it runs well in Hololens device, but has no display in Emulator, only sound. So I think there is something wrong with the Emulator instead of my APP.
But the Emulator works well with all the original APPs(meaning "Settings" ,"Photos","Holograms",etc), only wrong when deploying my own developed APP. To test, I changed the solid color of MainCamera in Unity, but the screen is still black(or to say blank).
I also tried to change "Release" to "Debug" in VS2015, deploy the APP, no black blank screen anymore but flashing coloring screen...
Then I tried to uncheck the “use desktop accelerated graphics ” in Emulator's tool, still the same black screen problem.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• ShawnShawn
    Answer ✓

Thanks a lot for your patient help guys.
    I have solved the problem just by change the version of Unity Editor from 5.6.0b2 to 5.5.0f3. It's really a trick troubling me for a long time. :D
    I can use the Emulator and MRC for my own Apps normally now.

Answers

• Hi @Shawn, what is the APP meant to do? Is it leaving the room blank and waiting for a user input or placing a hologram in the world and you can't find it?

The walls, floor and ceiling in the emulator will always look black as that's the color it uses as the real world should appear behind everything the camera renders, not a Skybox texture.

I recommend using the Device Portal for the emulator and use the 3D view to figure out where you are and where you should be going. Also you could set VS2015 to Debug and place a break point on the hologram you are (if you are putting a hologram in the world) placing and find the coordinates of where that hologram is placed and using your position to find the hologram.

• Hey @ShawnW ! Where you able to fix this? I have the exact same problem. When I deploy the example app a nice screen is shown but when I follow the 101E tutorial and place my own object there the entire screen is black.

• @ShayneKiekebosch said:
    Hi @Shawn, what is the APP meant to do? Is it leaving the room blank and waiting for a user input or placing a hologram in the world and you can't find it?

The walls, floor and ceiling in the emulator will always look black as that's the color it uses as the real world should appear behind everything the camera renders, not a Skybox texture.

I recommend using the Device Portal for the emulator and use the 3D view to figure out where you are and where you should be going. Also you could set VS2015 to Debug and place a break point on the hologram you are (if you are putting a hologram in the world) placing and find the coordinates of where that hologram is placed and using your position to find the hologram.

Thank you so much@ShayneKiekebosch.
    I have tested APPs including Holograms 100, 101E,101,210 and 211 from holo-Academy I used the Device Portal and tried every directions I can to find an object but nothing appeared.
    Actually I'm not quite clear on how to place a break point on the hologram you are placing. I'm woring on it.
    BTW, another problem of mine may caused in much the same way here: Holograms disappeared in Mixed reality capture

• @Tvt said:
    Hey @ShawnW ! Where you able to fix this? I have the exact same problem. When I deploy the example app a nice screen is shown but when I follow the 101E tutorial and place my own object there the entire screen is black.

I haven't fixt it yet. :(

• @Shawn i just fixed it by using the project of 101e and editing that. My own objects come there without any problems.

• @Shawn To place a break point right click on the line you wish to place the breakpoint, in this case the line that places the hologram, go to Breakpoint -> Insert Breakpoint. This will place a red box around the line of code and put a red circle to the left of the line. For future reference, where that red circle is, click in that column to toggle a breakpoint for each line.

Now if you have a debugger attached then while your application is running and it reaches this line of code it will stop and you can inspect different variables, in this case the position of the hologram placement. Note down the Vector3 coordinates and then place a breakpoint in any Update function and check your position (Camera.main.transform.position) to determine which way to go to find it.

If that doesn't work then I recommend following @Tvt's approach.

• ShawnShawn
    Answer ✓

Thanks a lot for your patient help guys.
    I have solved the problem just by change the version of Unity Editor from 5.6.0b2 to 5.5.0f3. It's really a trick troubling me for a long time. :D
    I can use the Emulator and MRC for my own Apps normally now.