Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

My project is done: Fullscale polygonal 3D modeling & AR on hololens

mlfarrellmlfarrell
edited January 2017 in Projects

It took me seven months of my life and I busted my ass, but this thing is finally finished. It has too many features to list here, but one of the most notable is live (on device) polygon reduction (akin to simplygon) right on the hololens. I didn't use unity to create this at all. I used my own framework which I developed from the ground up in C++11 which uses a modified fork of ANGLE. I'm hoping to make that framework eventually available to other people that want to develop for VR/AR.

Check it out if you want to see more https://vertostudio.com/holo.php

Comments

• Options

Also shoutout to @MikeRiches . Thanks so much for doing the legwork on getting ANGLE off the ground for holo. Saved me at least a month in the beginning of the project.

• Options

This looks so good!!! So just to be clear how this works if I have and FBX that has too higher poly count to render on the Hololens, you can just reduce it on the fly so it can be displayed?

• Options
    mlfarrellmlfarrell
    edited January 2017

@Peter_NZ said:
    This looks so good!!! So just to be clear how this works if I have and FBX that has too higher poly count to render on the Hololens, you can just reduce it on the fly so it can be displayed?

That's correct, a section of the video on the website should demonstrate this. If the model is insanely too complex, you might notice a pause or a frame drop in edit mode while you are trying to select in the feature to reduce the poly count, but it will work assuming the source model doesn't blow up the RAM of the device. The mobile and desktop version of the app have just been updated with the reduce future as well. So you have a lot of options.

• Options

Is this on the Microsoft App Store yet? If not do you have an indication of pricing?

Microsoft should buy it off you. It does what their stupid 3D Viewer should do when loading models (but instead just bombs out) plus gives the option for editing!!

• Options
    mlfarrellmlfarrell
    edited January 2017

Yeah it's on the store, there should be a link to download it from my promo page. Thanks for the kind words

https://vertostudio.com/holo.php

• Options

Here's an example of the reduction algorithm included with the app

• Options

I have just installed the application and I am impressed and it does a 100x better job than 3D Viewer. I have managed to display FBX files that I cause the 3D Viewer to crash in a big heap.

For me personally I probably won't do too much editing, but it is awesome to be able to get a FBX and just display it without having to edit the file down to something that 3D Viewer can handle.

• Options
    mlfarrellmlfarrell
    edited January 2017
    Excellent! I really appreciate your purchase. It's going to take almost every single purchase I can get to make this thing worth the time cost to develop. Please register for the support forms on my website and don't hesitate to post if you have questions.

Also, if you wouldn't mind putting in a review on the window store that would help me a lot as well.
  • Options
    Peter_NZPeter_NZ ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

I know what you mean about development cost as we have found the development effort for Hololens applications is huge. I am happy to pay money for a useful tool like this. I will join up to the support forum as I have a few minor bugs that would be good to log.

As an aside it annoys me that there are all these $1-$10 dollar Hololens applications on the App Store as it sets up a bad precedent. Hololens development is not the same as Mobile development so it should not be priced along the same lines - it is much harder and the market is much smaller.

• Options
    mlfarrellmlfarrell
    edited January 2017
    I wholeheartedly agree.
  • Options

its looks like a great app and i do not mind paying $99 but i would love to try it first, even if its for a day.

• Options

@cerver said:
    its looks like a great app and i do not mind paying $99 but i would love to try it first, even if its for a day.

I've activated a 24 hour trial period now for the app.

• Options
    New demo video. https://youtu.be/NJ9NqeysYXo

Also, have any of you on here downloaded the trial yet? I'm anxious to see if it's working properly (expires properly after 24 hours and so forth). Anyone care to let me know how it goes?
  • Options

Congrats, this app is insanely good! I work with highpoli objects and holo runs smoothly, only on editmode i hv problems... Awesome job!

• Options
    edited February 2017

Looks really good. and you have one great. I just saw you had a trial up there. Giving this a go.

• Options

SOLD. I would have used this yesterday on site with a client, just need the ability to record the scenes, or maybe create and switch scenes quick.

• Options
    mlfarrellmlfarrell
    edited February 2017

@imagineholos said:
    SOLD. I would have used this yesterday on site with a client, just need the ability to record the scenes, or maybe create and switch scenes quick.

Thank you! I really appreciate your sale. Please see my comment reply to your post on my wall regarding recording videos.

Please help me continue to spread the word about this software to other HoloLens owners!