Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

How to clean old environment meshes

Hi guys,
How can I clean up the previous room meshes that are stored in Hololens? Specifically I mean which function I should use in my spatial mapping scripts? Because I want to do a spatial mapping from zero.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tagged:

Answers

• Options

I know this is not exactly what you want but. If you wish to kill the spatial mapping from within the shell you can go to Settings-System-Space, tap and hold a space associated with your wifi router and there will be Delete button. I'm not sure you can do it at runtime, although I can't guarantee that. It does sound a bit "too much freedom" for one app as Spaces seem to be shared among all apps and are system-wide. If one app would kill a Space and another would expect it that would be a conflict.

What are you trying to solve by this though? Perhaps some kind of spatial mapping caching or simply ignoring spatial mapping altogether could be helpful?

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.

• Options

@stepan_stulov Thank you for your reply. I'm trying to build an app that can fit a room model to the environment by only scanning part of the room (like, one wall). So this is why I'm asking if I can clean the Space when I run an app.

• Options
    stepan_stulovstepan_stulov ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

@Lawrence HoloLens's spatial scanning process is somewhat independent. What you can, as an app developer, do is only from time to time get snapshots of that data and utilise it in some way: cache it, save it, process it, etc. You can't tell HoloLens "Hey, please stop scanning now" or "Hey, forget what you've scanned 5 minutes ago" from within your app. You can only kill the Space altogether from the Settings system-wide. HoloLens scans "no matter what".

So perhaps the solution to your problem is not so low-level as to influence the HoloLens's scanning but instead to intelligently ignore what is scanned? Perhaps what you need is mesh processing: finding walls and recognising the one you're interested in? Just out of curiosity: why do you specifically only want one wall and nothing else?

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.

• Options

@stepan_stulov Sometimes when I turn my Hololens on and off, or move its location, Hololens seems to lose its location in the real world. So all meshes around me get messed up. If I want get one specific and complete wall, I'll need to wait Hololens scan the wall again. And I also need to wait Hololens clean those wrong meshes, or my next plane fitting step will give me some unwanted planes. Some of them may overlap with each other.