Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Add Cursor,Directional indicator,Navigation and Manipulation Input

lycheeyylycheeyy
edited February 2017 in Questions And Answers

Hello,
I'm very new in unity, I just got the HoloLens. It’s amazing!! I already impoted holotoolkit(1.5.5.0) to assets folder. And I’m following the academy tutorial. Everything is alright and I can get the same effect like in the tutorial with the files that provided in the beginning of the tutorial. But when I created my new project, I got confused. As follow the tutorial as before, I cannot find a lot of assets inside the holotoolkit, like”Cursor Manager”script,”Directional Indicator”asset “Gesture Manager”,”Gesture Action”,etc. And when I try to import the missing staff from the files of academy tutorial, there’s always some error. So what is my problem and how to add Cursor,Directional indicator,Navigation and Manipulation Input to a new project?
Thanks a lot!!!

Answers

• Options

Hi lycheeyy,

A new version of the toolkit came out mid-January. The 210 hololens tutorial is older and looks like it might not be updated for the latest holotoolkit, which would explain why the directions don't totally make sense. This is actually a good way to learn, if unexpected. You can use the completed project from the downloaded files to figure out how it is supposed to work. Then try to redo it from scratch using the latest HoloToolkit instead. It's a longer path, but if you have the time and patience, you will learn a lot this way.

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• Options

@james_ashley Thanks for replying me. I already learned all the academy tutorials and got good result. Then I installed the latest holotoolkit and want to build my own project. My task is very basic and simple, I got a solidworks assembly, the effect what I need is, I can see the assembly hologram and interact with it, like move, rotate, explode the parts, etc in my hololens. Now I already transferred the assembly inside unity, but I don't know how to add gaze and gesture input to it. I stuck here for almost one week. The most important thing I want to know is, without "cursor manager" "gesture manager" and a lot of other scripts and assets in the latest holotoolkit, how can I add the gaze and gesture input to the assembly? Do I need to write the C# script myself?
    Thank you!

• Options

@lycheeyy,

Inside the latest HololensToolkit, you should look at Input/Tests/Scenes/InputManagerTest. This will show you how to use the InputManager and the GazeMananger (instead of cursor and gesture managers). You can handle manipulations and navigation through the InputManager script, and since it is based on the gesture manager from the tutorials, you should be able to figure it out pretty easily. You're almost there. :)

James

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• Options

@james_ashley Thank you! I will try! :*

• Options

@james_ashley
    It works!!!Thank you! I can see the cursor on and off my Assembly. But I still have problem with gestures. I can not get the same effect like in academy 210 and 211:”Interactible(choose different part of assembly)”,”Navigation(rotate assembly in every direction, not only Y-direction)”,”Manipulation(move assembly)”,”Model expansion(expand the parts of assembly)”. How should I do with the inputManager to get these effects?
    Thank you again!