Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Hololens stuck at "Trying to map your surroundings..." after updating Windows Holographic OS

ADentonADenton
edited February 2017 in Questions And Answers

Hello,

I'm stuck at the "Trying to map your surroundings..." screen after installing the latest update to the Windows Holographic OS. Everything was working fine before the update and it never took more than a few seconds to get past that screen and actually map the office.

Trying to walk around in the office, turning on all the lights and cleaning the device did not solve the problem.
Turning the device off and back on (power button 5 seconds) also didn't help - after showing "Goodbye" and turning the device back on, I'm again stuck at the "Trying to map your surroundings..." screen again.

When choosing "Use in limited mode" - nothing is displayed on the screen anymore. It does react to the "bloom" gesture with a sound, but will never actually display the start menu.
The buttons on the device (brightness & volume) are also working fine.

It also does not seem to establish the network connection anymore, as I can't access the Hololens remotely.

It there anything else I can try, apart from trying to recover with the Windows Device Recovery Tool?

Best Answer

• Options
    ADentonADenton
    Answer ✓

Also tried to find any errors with various providers in the Logging section, but without success.

Finally ended up using the device recovery tool, which worked fine. Now the update to the latest Windows Holographic OS (Non-Insider) didn't cause any issues.

Problem solved! :)

Answers

• Options

Quick Update:
    I'm able to access the device portal when connecting the Hololens Dev Kit via USB.
    Seems that the process "HoloShellApp.exe" always takes up 100% CPU, also in "Limited Mode".
    The device is running Windows version "14393.693.x86fre.rs1_release.161220-1747"

• Options
    ADentonADenton
    Answer ✓

Also tried to find any errors with various providers in the Logging section, but without success.

Finally ended up using the device recovery tool, which worked fine. Now the update to the latest Windows Holographic OS (Non-Insider) didn't cause any issues.

Problem solved! :)

• Options

I've currently got a device in the same state, after taking an update. Currently trying to download the recovery file using the recovery tool. :/

• Options

Same problem here...

• Options
    Peter_NZPeter_NZ ✭✭✭

I had this once as well and needed to get use the Recovery Tool to get the Hololens back. Just out of interest what was the scenario by which this happened in your case? I think my situation occurred when I put the Hololens down while it was doing its update and it went to sleep, and that caused the update not to apply correctly.

• Options
    Peter_NZPeter_NZ ✭✭✭

Related question. Is it possible to disable the updates?

• Options

I am having the same problem first described. I am trying to perform the recovery with the device recovery tool but it will not recognize my HoloLens so I can not proceed. I have booted it have got it to start in recovery mode by holding volume up while plugging it in but it gets stuck reading the device information. Any suggestions to fix this?

• Options

When I did this I had to boot into recovery mode using the Volume button THEN I connected to a PC via the USB cable. Then you press that 'My device was not detected' button and tell it is a HoloLens and go from there. Sorry it was a long time ago when I did this...so I am only going off memory.

• Options

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply, I think found the problem. I was on a Windows 7 machine, when I tried connecting to a Windows 10 machine it worked fine. The HoloLens is now fixed. Thanks.

• Options

Same Here with the last update. Any suggestion before Windows Device Recover tool?

• Options

Restoring My HoloLens with the Recovery tool. Now running with the 10.0.17134.80 build and will be able to install Microsoft Layout preview App that I already test with a Samsung HMD Windows Mixed Reality device (Amazing App, very good IHM).

• Options

Just Notice this for updating to the latest release 17134.80 know as RS4 :/

"To update to the latest release on HoloLens, you'll need to manually install the software using the Windows Device Recovery Tool (WDRT)." It would be good to tell this with a message before trying to update from the Hololens settings, bugging the HoloLens, wasting time and finally use the recovery tool.:)