Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Accessibility for people with low-vision

Has the HoloLens been evaluated by people that have low-vision issues, like macular degeneration and glaucoma? My hope is that the HoloLens could be used to present an image that the user can zoom-in and scroll around to compensate for the low-vision issues. The image could be from an existing Windows 10 app or from a camera. My concern is, because I am unfamiliar with optics and low-vision, there could be a limitation where such users can not benefit from such a system.

Tagged:

Answers

• Options

I'm a low vision person. My retinas are basically destroyed due to a birth defect. Although I can see, my eyes do not magnify normally. Thus, everything that is small seems quite far away whereas a normally sighted person's retinas would process and do normal magnification. In essence, I have to compensate by being very close to everything. Examples ... sitting in class reading a chalk board ... can't do it. Sitting in meeting at work trying to read white board. Again, can't do it. My eyes just don't magnify like eyeryone else's.

My interest in Hololens is to have a camera in the headset and then present a window to me (hopefully a big window) which is "close". If it's big, and the image in the window is big (and it can be zoomed up and down by the end user) ... then in theory, I should be able to attend a class and sit at a normal distance, and have what is on the white board (which is physically at say 3-4 feet away - which does not work for me) displayed right in front of my face .. in a window ... on the Hololens.

I hope I have done an adequate job in describing what I'm going for. This solution would not fix my eyesight, but perhaps Hololens would make it possible to have the whiteboard right in front of my face, allow me to zoom the image up and down, so that I can tell what is written on whiteboard ... and therefore be successful in such a class. Without it, I can see there is writing on the board, but it just looks like a bunch of black writing. I can't make it out, and I have to listen to the presenter, and just lisetning does NOT always get the job done. You have to be able to see what he's talking about in order to understand it.

If someone can respond to this, that would be great. Such a solution would be portable, and given that Hololens can project the 60" TV in front of the users face might be the portable solution all of us partials have been seeking for years. If you want to correspond, my email is ... MrSpock56@hotmail.com

Mike