Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

How can I import model in CATIA into Hololens?

Hi there,

I have a mechanical engineering background and wondering how I can bring the models I built in engineering software like CATIA into Hololens?

I guess I will have to first bring them into Unity? Am I correct?

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

Answers

• Thanks @keljed! I am looking into that!

• Hi Guys, I am a mechanical engineer and looking into this as well. Did this into Oculus rift and I am even more excited about seeing my models through the Hololens.

What i was wondering, what are the limitations and flaws?
    Can you load a compleet building or is hololens more suitable for objects(since this is the case in all the examples)?
    Can you build an app that makes you able to fix an object to the real world objects as an overlay?

Cheers Joost

• Can you build an app that makes you able to fix an object to the real world objects as an overlay?

yes.
    Hololens can scan the room (walls, floor, tables, atc.). The developer can interact with the resulting 3d model and attach holograms wherever he wants, like a picture on a wall, a cat on the sofa etc.

• AngeloGAngeloG
    edited June 2017

@Joost said:
    Hi Guys, I am a mechanical engineer and looking into this as well. Did this into Oculus rift and I am even more excited about seeing my models through the Hololens.

What i was wondering, what are the limitations and flaws?
    Can you load a compleet building or is hololens more suitable for objects(since this is the case in all the examples)?
    Can you build an app that makes you able to fix an object to the real world objects as an overlay?

Cheers Joost

Hi Joost,

don't let them mislead you. Here are some points that might interest you:

• The HoloLens has a VERY small FOV. You only have a small window/frame in which you can see the holograms.
    • The hardware of the HoloLens is pretty limited. You have to be carefull, how many polygons you want to display. Otherwise the framerate will drop and the picture will stutter.
    • "Overlaying" a room over a real room is not a good idea, since all holograms have a transparency and you will see a mix of both.
    • Showing a complete house will work fine - IF its a miniature version of the house.
    • in terms of graphical fidelity and performane, you cant compare the HoloLens to the Oculus Rift or the HTC Vive.

A suggestion, think (and read) twice before spending 3.5K$ on a rushed, limited and unfinished product. Oh, and don't let me start with the development on the HoloLens - it's a mess.

Oh, and also: All the Microsoft partnering videos on the HoloLens are fake.
    And using the Spectator View for the HoloLens, they even fake the FOV on presentations.

Greetings

• Okay, thanks for your reply!
    I have tried the hololens and i agree the fov is pretty disapointing. But i truly believe in MR! and the fact of no wires attached makes this a product that can be used on a production site. What i actually want to do is show some piping systems and switch on/off different systems bv voice command. This should be do able right?
  • Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017

Joost said

fact of no wires attached makes this a product that can be used on a production site.

That's only HoloLens that is in fact running the equivalent of a Mobile version of Windows 10.

@Joost Mixed Reality Immersive Headset has wires and the need for a PC.

What i actually want to do is show some piping systems and switch on/off different systems bv voice command. This should be do able right?

For this you would need to write a voice activated App, using the Cortana library in the Windows 10 SDK
    GitHub - Windows-universal-samples/Samples/CortanaVoiceCommand/
    Try Google "windows 10 adventure speech recognition"
    Video Channel 9
    App Development with Cortana

Try purchasing a Windows Lumina phone, because you can put the app on the Windows 10 supported phone and clip this onto the inside of the safety helmet, because Cortana runs on Mobile you can then talk as you would in HoloLens. Before you spend $K and only spends $100 to get started.