Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

3 pre-sale questions

Hello

I'm considering buying Hololens development kit this week.

Before I buy, I'd be super grateful if some Hololens owners could answer these questions:

1. When is the next Hololens release? (so I wont sit with an outdated Hololens in a couple of months)

Can I use Macbook for Hololens development?

The apps that we can develop with Hololens - are they going to be fully compatible with future mainstream Hololens?

Thank you very much for your time.

• Jonas
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓

Hi Jonas.

Here are the answers to your questions, as best they can be answered...

1. There is no known public date for the next release of the HoloLens. That said, it's very unlikely that it's going to be anytime soon. The latest rumor (from a tech journalist that I trust) is that v2 got scrapped in order to deliver v3 earlier with newer/better features, and that isn't slated to happen until at least 2018. So no need to worry on that front.
    2. In order to do HoloLens development, you need to be able to install the Windows SDK. In order to do that, you need to be running Windows. It can be done using Bootcamp and/or Parallels, although I understand it isn't the best experience.
    3. The apps that you write for the HoloLens today should be fully compatible with future devices, at least for a reasonable timeline. The idea is that you are developing against the Mixed Reality Platform, and while that platform will continue to improve and move forward, the should keep backwards compatibility for Mixed Reality apps.

My advice, pull the trigger and get one, it's well worth it to me.

Jesse

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓

Hi Jonas.

Here are the answers to your questions, as best they can be answered...

1. There is no known public date for the next release of the HoloLens. That said, it's very unlikely that it's going to be anytime soon. The latest rumor (from a tech journalist that I trust) is that v2 got scrapped in order to deliver v3 earlier with newer/better features, and that isn't slated to happen until at least 2018. So no need to worry on that front.
    2. In order to do HoloLens development, you need to be able to install the Windows SDK. In order to do that, you need to be running Windows. It can be done using Bootcamp and/or Parallels, although I understand it isn't the best experience.
    3. The apps that you write for the HoloLens today should be fully compatible with future devices, at least for a reasonable timeline. The idea is that you are developing against the Mixed Reality Platform, and while that platform will continue to improve and move forward, the should keep backwards compatibility for Mixed Reality apps.

My advice, pull the trigger and get one, it's well worth it to me.

Jesse

• Options

Thanks Jesse! That answered my questions.

• Options

It seems like a new Mixed reality headset is shipped this month for $300 (although it looks like VR)

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/03/01/windows-mixed-reality-dev-kits-shipping-month/#WUfePyjABPICHy7s.97

• Options
    AshAsh
    edited April 2017

@Mixy said:
    It seems like a new Mixed reality headset is shipped this month for $300 (although it looks like VR)

They are VR, but will be compatible with the whole MS Mixed-Reality ecosystem.

They won't be entirely comparable to Hololens as they are tethered and are fully enclosed (so they create a VR environment). But they will be another interesting aspect of MS Mixed-Reality providing a different experience to the Hololens.
    I would imagine you could also develop for Hololens and test the apps out using one of these (but prob not on a Mac).

Personally I find the Hololens more interesting and with more potential for the future, but may also buy one of these headsets too in order to experience different applications.

ETA - I'm not sure where it says shipping this month. I thought these weren't going to be generally available until 'later this year'.

• Options

@Mixy & @Ash: The new mixed reality headsets you are talking about are indeed in interesting part of the ecosystem. The consumer available versions of them won't be available till later this year, likely around the holiday season. The ones that were supposed to ship in March (and didn't as far as anyone can tell) are the developer editions that Microsoft is putting out. Microsoft has an application process for getting one of the developer kits. There is no information yet on what the cost of the dev kits will be, if there is any at all.

While I agree with Ash that the HoloLens provides what seems to be a more interesting experience, the idea that consumers will finally have reasonable access to devices that can run our Mixed Reality applications really excites me. It means our customer base moves from enterprises and businesses with a fair amount of money to invest in HoloLens to a much broader community of users.