Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

3D Model smaller in HoloLens

Hello guys, I've got an issue an I was wondering whether you could explain that.
I've designed the 3d model of a cabinet (with exact dimensions) but it does not fit in the hololens. The Unity camera is from the Holotoolkit.
Do you have any recommendations ?
Thank you in advance! :)!

Tagged:

Answers

• stepan_stulovstepan_stulov ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

Obvious things to check:

1. Are you sure it's exact dimensions you designed it with? Are you sure those spheres sticking out of the box don't add up to the size? In other words the entire model with spheres is the exact size, but the sub-box smaller?
    2. Are you sure there is no scaling down the scene hierarchy?
    3. Are you sure the size mismatch is objective and not visual (your hologram is slightly in front so it seems smaller)?

If you have a tick on all three it should fit.

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.

• @stepan_stulov said:
    Obvious things to check:

1. Are you sure it's exact dimensions you designed it with? Are you sure those spheres sticking out of the box don't add up to the size? In other words the entire model with spheres is the exact size, but the sub-box smaller?
    2. Are you sure there is no scaling down the scene hierarchy?
    3. Are you sure the size mismatch is objective and not visual (your hologram is slightly in front so it seems smaller)?

If you have a tick on all three it should fit.

1. Yes I am sure, I also designed it in 3Dsmax, same result.
    2. No scaling down in scene hierarchy
    3. I am pretty surethe size mismatch
  • Another test:

Can you crate a box of the desired size directly in Unity and compare it to the box you designed in 3DsMax first in Unity (make sure scaling in the import settings of the mesh is powers of 10) and then repeat the experiment with the Unity-designed box on HoloLens? To at least localize the problem.

• @stepan_stulov said:
    Another test:

Can you crate a box of the desired size directly in Unity and compare it to the box you designed in 3DsMax first in Unity (make sure scaling in the import settings of the mesh is powers of 10) and then repeat the experiment with the Unity-designed box on HoloLens? To at least localize the problem.

I did the test, the boxes are identical.

I thought the problem was the Camera, so I checked the fieldOfView and the camera components but it looks good..

• Fov wouldn't really matter as any manual adjustments to it are ignored. HoloLens's fov is driven by the hardware and is read-only. You can set 180 and see the same thing. It only makes sense to set the camera's fov in the editor to something like 17.8º (somebody found the best value) so that you have the closest to on-device experience there.

This is an interesting case. I haven't met such problem before, at least on human-size scale holograms. I wonder what the real issue is.

Please keep the community updated on your problem!

• @stepan_stulov said:
    Fov wouldn't really matter as any manual adjustments to it are ignored. HoloLens's fov is driven by the hardware and is read-only. You can set 180 and see the same thing. It only makes sense to set the camera's fov in the editor to something like 17.8º (somebody found the best value) so that you have the closest to on-device experience there.

This is an interesting case. I haven't met such problem before, at least on human-size scale holograms. I wonder what the real issue is.

Please keep the community updated on your problem!

I set the fov to 17.8° and I have reajusted the IPD, it looks better but the 3dmodel is still smaller. It is not a significant difference but for the type of application I am working on, this deviation is not acceptable. Maybe it comes from the HoloLens, and the v2 (or v3) will be more precise.

Thank you for your help! :)

• Hey @adriengrs,

It's interesting that changing the IPD helped a little. @stepan_stulov is correct that setting the FOV for the camera in the editor only affects the editor experience. When the application runs on the HoloLens it is fixed to the actual FOV of the device regardless. (Or at least that's the way it always worked in the past, but these bits are changing so quickly I can't state anything as an absolute anymore.)

The IPD does not impact the size that an object is rendered at, however it DOES have an impact on alignment. For example, a 2D window placed on a wall will look as though it is on the wall when the IPD is set correctly, but if the IPD is incorrect the window will appear to sink into the wall or float away from it. For something like the large cube you showed here, the wrong IPD would give the illusion that the cube is shifting around by a few inches instead of being locked in place as you walked around it.

Again, none of these things should change the actual physical size of the object and I too can't figure out what's going on here. Hopefully someone else can weigh in.

Our Holographic world is here

RoadToHolo.com      WikiHolo.net      @jbienz
    I work in Developer Experiences at Microsoft. My posts are based on my own experience and don't represent Microsoft or HoloLens.

• Did you ever find the solution to the scaling issue? We are have a similar issue, our CAD object is 5ft wide, in Unity it seems correct but when we deploy to the Hololens and physically measure the width it renders smaller by about 8 or so inches...

• @Chris_Rowsell said:
    Did you ever find the solution to the scaling issue? We are have a similar issue, our CAD object is 5ft wide, in Unity it seems correct but when we deploy to the Hololens and physically measure the width it renders smaller by about 8 or so inches...

Hi Chris,

8 inches seems to be a lot. For an object of 1.5 meters, on our side it renders smaller about 3 to 5 centimeters.

It seems to be a Hololens rendering problem. The hologram seems smaller when you are far away, but if you get closer the scale should be correct.

We will have to wait for the v2! :)