Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

How to make a character actually sit on your real chair using Spatial Understanding in Holotoolkit.?

I have been working with Spatial Understanding in HoloToolKit, I have a 3D model of a human sitting and it is animated, I used "Shape Queries" and was successful in placing the 3D model on anything that is similar to a chair like "Sittable" or "chair", but the 3D model appears above the chair, it's legs are placed on the chair, where as it's legs should be hanging on floor and the 3D model should be sitting on chair.
How am I suppose to make the 3D model appear sitting while it's legs hangs down the chair..!
similar to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUmTi3_Ynus
at 2:24 - 2:30.
Like in Fragments, where the lady sits on the couch and her legs hangs down to the floor.

any help will be much appreciated.

Best Answers

• trzytrzy ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Note that Spatial Understanding includes a query for platform *edge* positions that you could presumably use. I haven't used object recognition yet but there is probably a simple way to constrain queries to surfaces on the objects. If you can identify a "platform edge", you would place your model there. But, as @stepan_stulov said, you need to make sure the object pivot point makes sense.

For a sitting character and a position right at the edge of the sittable area, the pivot should be below the gluteal muscles, between the hamstrings (i.e., just below the butt, between the back side of the upper legs, when thinking about a standing pose character).

Answers

• trzytrzy ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Note that Spatial Understanding includes a query for platform *edge* positions that you could presumably use. I haven't used object recognition yet but there is probably a simple way to constrain queries to surfaces on the objects. If you can identify a "platform edge", you would place your model there. But, as @stepan_stulov said, you need to make sure the object pivot point makes sense.

For a sitting character and a position right at the edge of the sittable area, the pivot should be below the gluteal muscles, between the hamstrings (i.e., just below the butt, between the back side of the upper legs, when thinking about a standing pose character).
  • @stepan_stulov said:
    If the sittable position is determined correctly (place a tiny red sphere there and check) then it seems like a pivot problem of your human mesh. The human should be with her, erm, ass at Y zero in order to sit tightly when placed onto the sittable surface.

Thanks @stepan_stulov .... I will check that..!

• @trzy said:
    Note that Spatial Understanding includes a query for platform edge positions that you could presumably use. I haven't used object recognition yet but there is probably a simple way to constrain queries to surfaces on the objects. If you can identify a "platform edge", you would place your model there. But, as @stepan_stulov said, you need to make sure the object pivot point makes sense.

@trzy .... I will try to apply the 3D model for the "Edge" platform and but have to set the pivot first I think