Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Does anybody know how to communicate Hololens whit a non-windows device?

IrdThalesIrdThales
edited May 2017 in Questions And Answers

Hello, I'm a beginner on coding Hololens on Unity, and I'm trying to link communication between an Hololens and an Android device. I read that to establish communication, we have to launch a SharingService and the client has to contain a SharingClient.dll that is not supported by Android so I tried to establish a simple communication by Socket using UnityOSC library that I found on internet, I'm using the sharignTest scene that use the sharing prefab given by HoloToolkit. Althoug I established the first connection, when I try to send a simple message my Server is no able to understand and unpack this message. Does anybody knows if I'm missing something or if there is another way to make this kind of communication? I would appreciated it.

Thanks and Sorry about my english.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

To communicate between Unity apps running on different platforms you can use Unity's UNET networking.

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.

• Options

Hello @stepan_stulov I've already tried to use the HLAPI Network and the LLAPI Network offered by Unity but it seems that those don't work on Hololens. Have you ever tried? Do you have an exemplary code to share? This would be awsome!

• Options

@IrdThales

They work perfectly fine for me. Have you enabled corresponding Capabilities in the project settings, like InternetClient and InternetClientServer?

• Options

Hi @stepan_stulov I've just activated the Capabilities in my proyect but it still doesn't work. Would you mind if you show me an example? I will be greatful

• Options
    stepan_stulovstepan_stulov ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

@IrdThales

I think you would want to be more specific to what you mean with "doesn't work" in order for the community to be able to help you.

As far as I understand you're trying to use UNET on one end, and another networking solution/protocol on another? Usually you would want to have UNET-powered networking on each end of your network topology or conform to some kind of specification if the parts have to match. It seems that you're simply mixing different networking APIs and it's surprising the combination works at all.

It's also unclear to me to why you need sharing service in order to exchange simple messages. Would you clarify on that?

• Options

@stepan_stulov
    I'm sorry if I didn't make myself understood, you were right UNET-networking works for Hololens platform and I was mixing the communication protocols, otherwise I was able to send messages between different devices with HLAPI. Thank you.