Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

HELP!!! Master Build Crashing!

Chris_RowsellChris_Rowsell ✭✭
edited May 2017 in Questions And Answers

I'm at my wits end here, would really appreciate some guidance, I'm was just about to submit my unity HoloLens app to the store when I realized I needed to build the app using the 'Master' configuration in order to submit and that's where the fun began :(

The app works great on my HoloLens using the 'release' build i.e. non-native and not optimized but as soon as I build the app using the Master configuration that's when the runtime issues show up.

It builds fine but as soon as I run the Master build on my Lens it crashes with generic errors.

So my question is : Where do I even begin to debug these .Net Native code issues?

I know I haven't given you much to go on but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have worked so bloody hard on this over the past 3 months and was so bloody close to submitting, this is just soul destroying! Cant I just submit my release build lol

Thanks in advance

p.s. I'm using VS2015 Prof and Unity 5.6

Best Answer

• mark_grossnicklemark_grossnickle ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

When I've submitted to the store I right click on the project in the solution explorer and go to the store drop down. I either build it without submitting (which I use for testing and side loading for clients) or I associate with the store and then go through the submission process.

I haven't tried building directly to the device via master and I am wondering if you even need to. Perhaps just try making a build using the steps above and see if you hit any issues when you side load. If not, submit! :)

Taqtile

Answers

• mark_grossnicklemark_grossnickle ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

When I've submitted to the store I right click on the project in the solution explorer and go to the store drop down. I either build it without submitting (which I use for testing and side loading for clients) or I associate with the store and then go through the submission process.

I haven't tried building directly to the device via master and I am wondering if you even need to. Perhaps just try making a build using the steps above and see if you hit any issues when you side load. If not, submit! :)

Taqtile

• Oh!!! good point... yea I've been building with the Master configuration then using the traditional VS deployment method... I forgot about the side loading method.

Thanks mate ... Really appreciate your response... I'll try that

• Hey Mark,

I figured out my problem in the end...

So I tried side loading and the issue was still there, that help me realize that there was definitely a .Net Native issue. I installed VS 2017 as that seems to have better .Net Native debug features.

I ran my app with the Master configuration but with the 'code optimization' option uncheck and the HoloLens tethered to my PC i.e. ran the App via the traditional debug method. Doing this allowed me to find the exact line of code that was causing the problem. It was in Unity's P.Invoke.cs (TerrainData_CUSTOM_GetAlphamaps)

Here was the call:
    unsafe___value = global::McgInterop.UnityEngineDelegates_dll_PInvokes.TerrainData_CUSTOM_GetAlphamaps(
    param_0,
    param_1,
    param_2,
    param_3,
    param_4,
    &(unsafe_outExceptionHandle)
    );

It was being called by an asset store asset, luckily enough I didn't need the functionality so I just commented out the call and moved on, I'll deduce the true issue when I get time.

Anyway thanks for your help mate, your response help me rethink my debug method.

I just released a very VERY early Alpha of my app to the store, If you get time check it out, would love to get some constructive feedback :

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/arcology/9p7t7dt7gjrx

Have a great evening mate

Thanks again