Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Multiple ghost apps running: cursor is a crescent moon with two Zs rising from it

I have noticed colored areas (pink or blue) in the mesh area on my walls. When I gaze on them there is a cursor that is a crescent moon with two Zs rising from it. This was noted in the post “App Appears to Hang” by moontube (June 2016).

On selecting one colored area, an app I had run several weeks earlier appeared (Holographic Anatomy). Another app, Holographic Remote Player had several copies running. This has also happened with the “Learn Gestures” app. I checked the Apps Manager in the Windows Device Portal to see if the apps were running (in an attempt to stop them) but they did not appear there. In some attempts the Apps Manager drop down list is unresponsive.

I have stopped and restarted the HoloLens and when I locate a colored area in the mesh and select it an app is running. This only appears to happen for apps I run and then bloom to go back to Home. It appears that they become “ghost apps”? I finally had to uninstall the apps to remove the running copies. I am running Build 14393.1198x86fre.rs1_release_sec.170427-135.

What is going on here? Thanks.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓

Also, what you suggested works if I launch an application and then immediately close it. In my example case, I would launch an application, bloom to return to Home and turn off the HoloLens. Then when I return the application Windows are not visible where I placed them. In locating them in the mesh (tiny colored areas), when I air-tap the application starts again. I am not presented with the main launch window where the Remove option is available.

Answers

• Options

@cookie_dancer,
    When you launch an application on HoloLens or the Windows Mixed Reality home, you place a tile that is similar to placing an icon on your Windows Desktop.

When you return to the shell, the application is suspended (the moon with Zs) and you will see the tile where you placed it. This allows you to place an application where it means the most to you.

You can close the tile by air-tapping on the Remove option on the top-right of the Holobar.

This documentation page describes using the Windows Mixed Reality home.

Thanks!
    David

• Options

Why are the applications not showing in the Apps Manager Lists as running? Thanks!

• Options
    Answer ✓

Also, what you suggested works if I launch an application and then immediately close it. In my example case, I would launch an application, bloom to return to Home and turn off the HoloLens. Then when I return the application Windows are not visible where I placed them. In locating them in the mesh (tiny colored areas), when I air-tap the application starts again. I am not presented with the main launch window where the Remove option is available.