Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

What is best solution to create a demo video to show HoloLens ability ?

javad329javad329
edited June 2017 in Questions And Answers

Hi
I want to create a video like attached image that a person wear HoloLens and augmented object is front of him.
I want add 3d model to video instead of using HoloLens capturing video.
Thanks

Best Answers

Answers

• Thank for your answer Mark

it is too expensive solution, I have just one Hololens.
    is it possible to use one hololens as a spectator view on the camera and add another hololens that a person weared with video editing ?

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@javad329 said:

Thank for your answer Mark

is it possible to use one hololens as a spectator view on the camera and add another hololens that a person weared with video editing ?

Hi @javad329
    The camera to view this area can be as cheap as a Kinect and Kinect 2 for Windows adapter as you are only sharing one HoloLens then positioning wont really matter.
    Download the Kinect SDK for Windows 10 Creators edition build15063 Plug the Kinect Adapter into USB 3.0 (blue) Port, start Camera app and you are there!.

The First camera is a Kinect, which integrates with Spectator, then manually adjust position physically or via Unity app, the position is then sent with the picture to HoloLens using sharing app.
    Enter your HoloLens address as described in Announcing Spectator View

The Kinect 2 for Windows is similar in viewing function to HoloLens, on the PC and you use OPENCV=TRUE
    and rebuild the code.

You dont need to calibrate, as the blank file is in the Compositor app now.
    Kinect is 300 dollars as opposed the 4500 dollar for a Cannon DSLR camera

• @Jimbohalo10 said:

@javad329 said:

Hi @javad329
    The camera to view this area can be as cheap as a Kinect and Kinect 2 for Windows adapter as you are only sharing one HoloLens then positioning wont really matter.
    Download the Kinect SDK for Windows 10 Creators edition build15063 Plug the Kinect Adapter into USB 3.0 (blue) Port, start Camera app and you are there!.

The First camera is a Kinect, which integrates with Spectator, then manually adjust position physically or via Unity app, the position is then sent with the picture to HoloLens using sharing app.

The Kinect 2 for Windows is similar in viewing function to HoloLens, on the PC and you use OPENCV=TRUE
    and rebuild the code.

Thank for your helpful answer @Jimbohalo10
    I rebuild the code with changes that mention there
    but I don't know kinect CAMERA_ID for change in OpenCVFrameProvider.h file.
    where is Camera app that you said befor for starting?

• Hi @javad329 The value from my file is OpenCVFrameProvider.h

//TODO: Change this value to match the camera id you are using.
    // If your PC has an integrated webcam, that will probably be id 0.
    #define CAMERA_ID 0

The Camera app is the standard in Cortana box type "Camera"
    Click on Camera, should be the first camera. Unplug USB Webcam temporarily for auto-select of Kinect

• Thank for your help dear @Jimbohalo10
    I can do it right now

• @javad329 That brilliant! B):)

• AlexPiroAlexPiro
    edited August 2017

Hi @Jimbohalo10 @javad329
    Thank you for this solution. I'm trying to deploy this as I can't afford me a second Hololens to do a spectator view. I just have a question, I follow all this procedure but I was wondering if you use only one kinect to replace both Hololens and DSLR, or the Kinect is just to replace Hololens and you use something else for the camera ?
    Also I tried to use the Kinect as webcam but my computer didn't recognize it as webcam, any idea ?
    (I am using a Xbox One Kinect with Kinect adapter for Windows)

• @Jimbohalo10 said:

@javad329 said:

Hi @javad329

and rebuild the code.

Dear @Jimbohalo10

I used your method and it worked (kind of)

The problem is that the HoloLens can't see the shared holograms.
    And the cursor is not updating from the client on to the server so it does not get recorded.

I am using a Kinect V2 as the camera.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you for your help.

-shukenmg

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

@dan

The problem is that the HoloLens can't see the shared holograms.

And the cursor is not updating from the client on to the server so it does not get recorded

Well recently there have been loads of problems listed on the build location for the Hologram Sharing. The most recent series of posts suggested the networking share code has been replaced completely.

Therefore things may not be working. The Kinect 2 only sends the background.

The sharing is done by Unity and the HoloLens Toolkit below

see
    Update spectator view's network stack to UNET with HoloToolkit 1.5.7

Somewhere the versions of software have go out of sequence.

Maybe try downloading the latest versions and try again!.
    Do the Patches as above and make sure everything is built as RELEASE not Debug or this will fail in strange ways.

So much has changed just cannot keep up!
    Thanks