Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Understanding Hololens correctly and UI

Hello everyone,

Am I understanding correctly that the HoloLens gaze technically serves as a mouse pointer and the Air Tap serves as a mouse click?

So if I wanted to have a UI that followed the camera perfectly (like being a child of the camera) it would be impossible to have a clickable button (via air tap) because the gaze would never be able to reach the button unless it was centered at its gaze correct?

I have tried the tagalong and adjusting its stats and box collider and have just found it unsatisfactory.

Best Answers

• Options
    stepan_stulovstepan_stulov ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017 Answer ✓

Hey, @AvionicHologram

You understood everything correctly, gaze for mouse position and air-taps for mouse clicks are a great metaphor. In case of navigation and manipulation gestures it's slightly more complex as then your hand is also kind of mouse position. You hand temporarily takes over the positioning but not in an equal manner.

As for tag-along. You can have a look at how Start Menu behaves in the shell. It's kind of tag-along, but it's not perfectly attached to your head, instead it's more like being pushed by the edges of your field of view. So it's ensured that the Start Menu is always in your view but you also can click the buttons on it without being irritated.

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.

• Options
    Answer ✓

I slightly updated the answer.

Answers

• Options
    edited July 2017 Answer ✓

Hey, @AvionicHologram

You understood everything correctly, gaze for mouse position and air-taps for mouse clicks are a great metaphor. In case of navigation and manipulation gestures it's slightly more complex as then your hand is also kind of mouse position. You hand temporarily takes over the positioning but not in an equal manner.

As for tag-along. You can have a look at how Start Menu behaves in the shell. It's kind of tag-along, but it's not perfectly attached to your head, instead it's more like being pushed by the edges of your field of view. So it's ensured that the Start Menu is always in your view but you also can click the buttons on it without being irritated.

• Options

@stepan_stulov Thank you for confirming. The start menu in the shell is probably the closest I am going to get for the time being, after a few initial test with tag-a-long I have managed to act similar to the start menu just not as smoothly which I will work on.

Thanks again, greatly appreciated!

• Options
    Answer ✓

I slightly updated the answer.