Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Are the HP headset lenses physically adjustable?

I just noticed that there's a black plastic ring around the lenses on my headset. These can be spun slightly.

I was wondering, what exactly do they do? I know that you can adjust DPI from the software side, but are these rings hardware DPI adjusters?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

@Jesse_McCulloch Maybe there is a way of removing them in case they need to be replaced.

• Options
    edited August 2017

@josemiralles, these slightly shifting rings means only... bad HP design (same as a plastic smell, thick cable and nonadjustable lenses focus - see my posts here).

BTW, are you happy with the picture quality of this headset? I believe, this "rings issue" is literally nothing comparing with the overall bad quality of this VR headset.

• Options

@sensboston The picture quality is actually good in my opinion. So is the overall hardware. The sweet spot of the lenses is smaller than the Rift's, but after you center the headset to your pupil, and adjust the headband, it is not really an issue.

However, I do get constant crashes in Windows MX. Microsoft's software is currently the biggest issue in my opinion. It was working fine 2 days ago, and I managed to do some work while in it. But then again, this is the dev kit and not the final consumer version.

• Options

@josemiralles said:
    after you center the headset to your pupil

This is the part I have yet to figure out. It would solve a lot of problems for me. Changing the value in Settings seems to do nothing.

• Options

@MagusZero - When I don the headset, I open the headband wide and then flip it up. I then put the headset up against my face and move it around until I find the "sweet spot" and then I hold it there with one hand, and with the other, flip the headband down and tighten it so that the headset does not move around.

• Options

@josemiralles said:
    The picture quality is actually good in my opinion. So is the overall hardware. The sweet spot of the lenses is smaller than the Rift's, but after you center the headset to your pupil, and adjust the headband, it is not really an issue.

I tried everything (include playing with these shifting rings :) ) but my HP headset wasn't adjustable at all, doesn't really matter how hard I've fixed it on my head. And it's definitely not a my eyes defect; I asked my wife and 7 yo daughter (she was very excited with the cheap cardboard headset on LG G3 an year ago and I had to forbid her from using cardboard at that time) but they are immediately took off HP headset right after 30 seconds, complaining to very unpleasant feelings.

• Options

@Jesse_McCulloch said:
    @MagusZero - When I don the headset, I open the headband wide and then flip it up. I then put the headset up against my face and move it around until I find the "sweet spot" and then I hold it there with one hand, and with the other, flip the headband down and tighten it so that the headset does not move around.

I also managed to get the IPD fixed, so now it's considerably more pleasant!