Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

We couldn't download the Windows Mixed Reality software

I have run into the "Windows Mixed Reality uninstall" issue mentioned on the Known Issues page and the suggested resolution is not working for me.

As suggested I have:

• rebooted

• removed the reg keys mentioned (for the ones that appear in my system)

• 1) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Holographic ("FirstRunSucceeded" was not there)
  • 2) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Holographic\SpeechAndAudio (the SpeechAndAudio folder was not there so "PreferDesktopSpeaker" and "PreferDesktopMic" were not there)
  • 3) found and removed "DisableSpeechInput" from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Speech_OneCore\Settings\Holographic
  • 4) found and removed "DeviceId" from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PerceptionSimulationExtensions ("Mode" was not there)

• removed the roombounds.json file

• removed the contents of the SpatialStore (a single folder called HoloLensSensors)

• looked for the Analog.Holographic.Desktop capability but it wasn't listed so FOD must not be installed

• rebooted

I have now repeated the process and gone through the initial setup steps numerous times and continue to get the same message after successfully configuring the room boundary and trying to advance to the next step.

Between one of my reattempts I doubled checked if there were any Windows updates and downloaded cumulative update. My system currently says it is:
Version: 1703
OS Build: 15063.540

The initial reason for doing a Windows Mixed Reality uninstall was that I was having issues where the world would initialize about 100 ft above the building. After spending a lot of time to try and navigate down to the building I eventually gave up and tried uninstalling which is why I ran into this issue.

On the bright side, having to repeat the setup process so many times I spotted the confusing UX quirk that caused my initial problem on the enter you height screen. I thought it was odd that the system wanted me to enter my height as a total number of inches... but later realized that when focus is on the input box that the label to the right is actually another input box. So I believe the system thought I was 70 ft tall, instead of 70 inches. :-(

However, if anyone has any more details on how to successfully reinstall Windows Mixed Reality after having done an uninstall I would appreciated the help.

Unfortunately, the Windows Mixed Reality devices (HP in this case) run on far fewer dev quality machines than I expected (including Microsoft's own Surface Book), so it would be nice if I could figure out how to get things working on my Surface Pro 4 machine again.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

Answers

• @HoloSheep - Are you willing to put your machine on the Insiders Build Fast Ring? If so, that's your best bet. There have been LOTS of improvements to the Mixed Reality Portal since the build you are currently on (Spring Creators Update). Because the Mixed Reality Portal depends on performance enhancements that are being put into the OS, the Portal is being kept in lock step with OS updates.

• @Jesse_McCulloch
    Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately with this production dev machine Insiders Builds are not a practical option at the moment.

• In that case I am going to tag @Vanessa and see if she can get the right resource involved to help. The Mixed Reality Portal was really buggy on different setups back at that point, so I am hoping a Microsoft resource will be better able to guide you.

• @HoloSheep Please plug in the headset, then File Feedback with captured log and share the URL. We will check the log to see what happened on your PC.

• @FranklinChen
    Your suggestion sounds like a fine idea, however it looks like there might be a catch-22 involved.

Since I can't get the Windows Mixed Reality Software installed, the device does not seem to be visible to the "Feedback Hub" and I am guessing that is why I do not get a "captured log" option.

any other ideas?

• Has anyone else run into the "uninstall issue" and found the directions on the Known Issues page did not work for them?

• The official setup documentation now requires Insider Builds - https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/immersive_headset_setup