Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Hololens Re-scanning the environment with spatial understanding

Hi,
I'm using spatial understanding to scan the environment and generate the spatial meshes. (According to the example in the HoloToolkit spatial understanding example)

After generating the meshes initially i want to have an option to re-scan the environment again(removing the old meshes and regenerating new meshes). Is there any possible ways where i can achieve this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Answers

• stepan_stulovstepan_stulov ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

Hey, @Rishanthan

Raw spatial data (aka Spaces), that the spatial meshes / understanding are a lossy derivative of, is system-level, not app-level. There is no (known to me) way to read, write, edit or delete the Spaces from within your app. There is simply no such API. Literally the only thing you can do is remove a Space from the Settings.

Hope that helps.

UPDATE: Never mind, should read the question better.

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.

• @Rishanthan This is possible, as the spatial understanding example does not pull data immediately from the spaces located on the device. It scans a new space in real-time. What you can do is:
    -Run your application with Holographic Remoting and Spatial Mapping turned on to see the spatial mapping meshes that are generated. This step is necessary to show you what the filenames are for these meshes and how they are formed.
    -Now that you know what these gameobjects look like, write a script that stops spatial mapping, destroys all these meshes, then restarts spatial mapping and generating new meshes.

That should be all. Good luck!

• @gjrgj said:
    @Rishanthan This is possible, as the spatial understanding example does not pull data immediately from the spaces located on the device. It scans a new space in real-time. What you can do is:
    -Run your application with Holographic Remoting and Spatial Mapping turned on to see the spatial mapping meshes that are generated. This step is necessary to show you what the filenames are for these meshes and how they are formed.
    -Now that you know what these gameobjects look like, write a script that stops spatial mapping, destroys all these meshes, then restarts spatial mapping and generating new meshes.

That should be all. Good luck!

But what if in the Unity Editor I want to work with that "transformed" by Spatial Understanding mesh immediately? I don't really want to imitate the process of walking around the room in Unity Editor all the time for having that mesh everywhere in all details. Of course we have no choice when work with this functionality on the device but what Unity Editor?