Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Holographic Emulator hangs before Unity splash screen

I am running Visual Studio 2015 update 3, Unity 5.6.3f1, Holographic Emulator 10.0.14393.1358 and Windows 10 SDK 10.0.14393.798. I am just working through a Pluralsight course for HoloLens Development Fundamentals and I keep running into this issue when I deploy my app to the HoloLens emulator.

Whether I run without debugging or run with debugging and do not set any breakpoints, I see the start menu bloom just fine and then it clears and at the point where the Unity splash screen is supposed to display, I just get the small white cursor in the middle of the screen and nothing else ever happens.

However, If I set a breakpoint in the app.cs constructor and then step through the code, I can then see the splash screen appear and the app runs once I step through the Main method and the CoreApplication.Run(App) method call.

When looking at the ouotput log, when the program hangs, it stops at the point shown below.
--------------------snip---------------------
Direct3D:

Version:  Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1]

Renderer: Microsoft RemoteFX Graphics Device - WDDM (ID=0x2c1)

Vendor:   Microsoft

VRAM:     639 MB

Initialize engine version: 5.6.3f1 (d3101c3b8468)

'Example1.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\Example1VS.Debug_x86.david.adler\UnityEngineProxy.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Example1.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\Example1VS.Debug_x86.david.adler\System.Linq.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Example1.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\Example1VS.Debug_x86.david.adler\System.Reflection.Extensions.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
The following GlobalManagers were stripped from the build (Either because they're not used or not supported on this platform):
NetworkManager
MasterServerInterface
UnityAdsManager
ClusterInputManager
CrashReportManager

If your machine has multiple graphics adapters, Unity may have created a WindowContext on the wrong adapter. If you experience a black screen when playing, please restart the Editor.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/VR/VRDevice.cpp Line: 194)

--------end snip---------------------------

however, when the program runs correctly as a result of me setting a breakpoint and stepping through the code, the following lines appear after in the output window

-------snip-----------------------

UnloadTime: 36.962299 ms

Setting up 1 worker threads for Enlighten.

Thread -> id: 8d0 -> priority: 1

The program '[1480] Example1.exe' has exited with code -1 (0xffffffff).

--------end snip-----------------

My dev laptop has two adapters;
AMD Radeon HD 8790M
Intel HD Graphics 4600

I found a post on redditt r/HoloLens that talked about "Go into player settings -> other settings -> Color Space and swap it to Gamma rather than Linear", but my setting is already on Gamma so that doesn't seem to apply.

Any ideas?

Tagged: