Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Can Microsoft publish a roadmap around Hololens?

Hi,

Can we have a roadmap about Hololens?
We know that Microsoft plan to release Hololens to the public in about 3 or 4 years.
But is there a list of features to be added? like an improved FOV, hand gesture recognition (not just the tap, but more like the Kinect can detect the movements, so we'll have more interaction possible), better room scanning system (recognizing tables, and objects in a room)

the plans to release an updated version of Windows 10 for Hololens? does hololens will follows the Win 10 release dates, so the anniversary update will be applicable to Hololens?
Any accessories planed too? (ie systems to use the holoportation concept, gloves detecting the movement of the fingers and the position of the hands, portable battery or a portable system improving the calculation power and providing more precise scanning and more complex 3D rendering...)
etc...

it will be interesting for us to know how the system will be improved

Answers

• Options

Hi @Jerome,
    While improvements will certainly be made, we cannot discuss future release dates/features on this forum. Such announcements will come from our Marketing team.

If there are specific features/improvements that you would like to see made to the product, please let us know, as we value all feedback from our development community. We regularly open bugs and feature requests based on the feedback that we find on this forum.

• Options

I also would like more FOV, not because I'm a complainer but because I find the limitation distracting and sometimes frustrating, and I say that as a fan and developer who wants HoloLens to catch on. If it's not doable, it would be nice for the reasons to be explained to developers.

More gestures sound good except that gestures are tricky to perceive and I believe that the development team may have deliberately kept those to a minimum, at least for now, for that reason. Same with voice, which is similarly easy to misperceive (especially for software). However, I wonder whether a hand- or finger-worn sensor with pretty accurate tracking would help. You wouldn't want to get your hand sweaty, but I can see something light which you put over your hand and which lightly slips over fingers around the top knuckle.