Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Awesome Placement Holograms inside of real objects / other holograms. Ford + Fusion 360 Thoughts.

Hello everyone!

At first, I advice to look at them before reading this question for making more sense what's going on:

So, lets continue! In terms of development processes, it's really interesting to learn about how this functionality is or was realized. At first, I can't understand how the "placement logic" of inner details for Xbox Controller actually works: how we can really be cognizant if these or those inner parts of our hologram aren't suitable for a current 3d-model? Because, inner parts (to be exactly, their positions) can't be always aligned to the outer 3d-model's center, like in the previous video.

And how we can really improve that and avoid the situation when one of the inner parts isn't suitable because we set that one not correctly, but if we do that, everything will be set OK. How we avoid the human factor? Also, bear in mind, that outer 3d-model, as such, can be full of convex details inside of it. And checking the intersection of meshes isn't enough. Maybe we need to work with anchors?

SEE AN IMAGE #1: Xbox 360 Controller and its inner parts

Can we use this logic also for real objects and placements holograms inside of it? How will we need to avoid the same problem but with real objects? My thoughts: create some borders only in which holograms can be placed. Example with an engine.

SEE AN IMAGE #2: What about adding holograms inside of real objects:

I'm afraid, that I don't know some basic principles how it's realized. Where I can go in search?
Maybe Microsoft Research resource will help me?

In terms of HoloLens Development help-resources , do you use Microsoft Research? I think there is a few articles over there which directly connect with this theme and its fundamental principles how to avoid my quires and develop it in the best way. Do you know some articles' names? Or, in other words, what "key" words should I use to find things about which I'm writing right now?

In conclusion I want to say only one thing:
Does it make any sense for you? Do all described quires and questions really exist or maybe I can right now find them out in some articles? And, based on Ford's engine image example, is it really needed to give to the users ability to see holograms inside of real objects?

I wish this post will make for everyone who is really interested in HoloLens.
Thank you.

Best Answer

• james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@AndrewMilko,

These are all great points. The difficulty with the videos is that often they are cleaned up in post-production. This doesn't mean they haven't solved some of these very tricky issues, but we'll never know from the videos alone. We have to wait to see the actual products -- many of which either are only released privately or not at all. They're still great discussion pieces, though.

I don't think MSR typically provides this information, btw. And it's actually tricky to ask "big" questions like the ones you are doing, rather than, say, asking how to use property xyz on the toolkit input manager.

Do you mind putting more time into explaining the problem and potentially building a video showing why the positioning of internal parts sometimes fails? I've found that the best way to get people to concentrate on a big issue is to put in time yourself into explaining it (you've already made a great start). In general, I think the community responds well to an issue when you put in your own time to show that it is important.

James

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

Answers

• james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@AndrewMilko,

These are all great points. The difficulty with the videos is that often they are cleaned up in post-production. This doesn't mean they haven't solved some of these very tricky issues, but we'll never know from the videos alone. We have to wait to see the actual products -- many of which either are only released privately or not at all. They're still great discussion pieces, though.

I don't think MSR typically provides this information, btw. And it's actually tricky to ask "big" questions like the ones you are doing, rather than, say, asking how to use property xyz on the toolkit input manager.

Do you mind putting more time into explaining the problem and potentially building a video showing why the positioning of internal parts sometimes fails? I've found that the best way to get people to concentrate on a big issue is to put in time yourself into explaining it (you've already made a great start). In general, I think the community responds well to an issue when you put in your own time to show that it is important.

James

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• @james_ashley said:
    @AndrewMilko,

James

Thanks for feedback)

• In relation to placing objects inside real world objects - yes that is very possible. We do this with our BIM Holoview application were we show pipes behind walls etc.

The key thing is placement. The spatial mapping in the HoloLens isn't good enough to map out a car by itself - it would need some additional marker system so that the Holograms are positioned in the correct place relative to the vehicle.