Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Need help with Course Holograms 210

Hi,

I just tried to follow Holograms 210. The Windows Store settings are no longer present in Unity 2017.2, instead there's UWP, so I couldn't set them. I successfully completed 101, so I don't think this is the problem. I can successfully build a VS project out of Unity, but I can't deploy.

A few questions:

1) when I hit Play with "Remote Machine", the dialog showed up, asking for the IP. in 101 you entered 127.0.0.1 -- what I don't understand: why do you have to enter 127.0.0.1 instead of the HoloLens' IP?

2) While 127.0.0.1 worked in 101, it didn't seem to work with 210, as I get the following error:
Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State Error DEP6957: Failed to connect to device '127.0.0.1' using Universal Authentication. Please verify the correct remote authentication mode is specified in the project debug settings. COMException - The network event being waited on triggered an error. [0x8007274D] ModelExplorer
What is different here?

3) Once I entered the IP I cannot find a way of changing it. I meant to change it to my HoloLens' address, but I could not find out how to do it.

4) What difference does the checkbox "Unity C# Projects" make? I never checked it in the past, now I saw you always advise to check it.

Answers

• Options

For entering your IP address, enter your HoloLens IP.

If you are in VS 2017 (not sure for other versions), you can change the IP by going to Debug-> YourProjectName Properties. Under the Start Options, you should see a Text Field that says Remote Machine. Enter the HoloLens IP here.

If that doesn't work or you can't find it you can deploy to the device by changing the option of Remote Machine to Device. Then all you need to do is plug in the HoloLens via USB cord and deploy. I find plugging it in is faster most of the time.

As for your 4th question: You need to check that box because it is a UWP app it runs using .NET. The check in the box basically makes it possible to run the debugger through Visual Studios. Otherwise you will not be able to.

AR Developer

• Options

Thanks for the fast reply.

Okay, found the IP setting. So, I suppose the reason that entering localhost worked anyways when I was following the instructions of Course 101 remains a mystery because it actually shouldn't work?

Thanks for the hint with Device and USB connection -- I used to do this and changed to remote as I saw this in the videos, hoping it would eliminate some of the issues I'm experiencing. I agree, it's much faster.

About the C# projects checkbox: so it shouldn't make a difference in terms of runtime behaviour when I don't check it? With Vuforia samples I have to use IL2CPP and there I don't have this option, obviously. I'm having quite some trouble getting started with those samples, but it seems like this cannot be causing them, am I right?

• Options

According to Microsoft:

Optional: Unity C# Projects: Checked. NOTE: Checking this box allows you to 1.) debug your app in the Visual Studio remote debugger, and 2.) edit scripts in the Unity C# project while using IntelliSense for WinRT APIs.

AR Developer