Hello everyone.

We have decided to phase out the Mixed Reality Forums over the next few months in favor of other ways to connect with us.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

The plan between now and the beginning of May is to clean up old, unanswered questions that are no longer relevant. The forums will remain open and usable.

On May 1st we will be locking the forums to new posts and replies. They will remain available for another three months for the purposes of searching them, and then they will be closed altogether on August 1st.

So, where does that leave our awesome community to ask questions? Well, there are a few places we want to engage with you. For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality. If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers. And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

External USB camera into HoloLens?

I'd like to stream video from an external USB camera into the HoloLens, is this possible? (It's an Android-compatible external camera FWIW)

Answers

  • Not directly over USB. The usb port on the HoloLens is for charging and tethering and does not currently support external devices.

    You can pair with Bluetooth devices.

    Alternatively you can connect over wireless to another machine or device that a usb peripheral is plugged into and stream back and forth to the HoloLens over Wifi.

    Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

    WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

  • @HoloSheep said:
    Alternatively you can connect over wireless to another machine or device that a usb peripheral is plugged into and stream back and forth to the HoloLens over Wifi.

    I think this is probably the best path to investigate for streaming.

  • @Joan said:

    @HoloSheep said:
    Alternatively you can connect over wireless to another machine or device that a usb peripheral is plugged into and stream back and forth to the HoloLens over Wifi.

    I think this is probably the best path to investigate for streaming.

    Are there any off-the-shelf apps (or Unity plugins) that would accomplish this? I can write my own, I'd rather not.

  • ContextVRContextVR ✭✭✭

    Has anyone experimented with using an OTG cable with HoloLens?

  • How about streaming on-board camera images from one device to another HoloLens device using wifi? Can this be done using the current apps?

  • @DaveA said:

    @Joan said:

    @HoloSheep said:
    Alternatively you can connect over wireless to another machine or device that a usb peripheral is plugged into and stream back and forth to the HoloLens over Wifi.

    I think this is probably the best path to investigate for streaming.

    Are there any off-the-shelf apps (or Unity plugins) that would accomplish this? I can write my own, I'd rather not.

    Did you find any Unity plugins for the same ?

  • is there any possibility to stream FLIR camera in HoloLens? Via unity for example?

  • @Vitto_KAIST said:
    is there any possibility to stream FLIR camera in HoloLens? Via unity for example?

    Try the Spectator software for HoloLens
    You will have to find the right setups for the particular FLIR camera you are using and put them into the setup file

Sign In or Register to comment.