Inaccuracy of picture and actual view

Hello,
the picture tells what my problem is. The black lines are drawn in the hololens with unity and GL right in the center:

GL.PushMatrix();
lineMaterial.SetPass(0);
GL.LoadOrtho();
GL.Begin(GL.LINES);
GL.Color(Color.blue);
GL.Vertex3(0, 0.5f, 0);
GL.Vertex3(1f, 0.5f, 0);
GL.Vertex3(0.5f, 0, 0);
GL.Vertex3(0.5f, 1f, 0);
GL.End();
GL.PopMatrix();

here is the picture, stretched to 1920 x 1200. The center of the black lines is 937 x 572 and the red lines 960 x 600.

I usually would assume, that they match perfectly, and that is what I want. How can I correct this with unity?
Thank you very much.

Answers

• stepan_stulovstepan_stulov ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Hey, @Khronossos

HoloLens is a stereoscopic device. It renders two slightly different images one for each eye to create an illusion of depth. Strictly speaking, there is no such thing as a screen-shot of a stereoscopic image unless you use a, well, stereoscopic device to reproduce it. If I may speculate, you have obtained this screen-shot either via a locatable camera or via Device Portal. As far as I remember both methods capture only one eye. This could potentially be a reason for the misalignment.

However, don't take my word on it. I'm not sure how 2D rendering relates to the stereoscopic-ness.

I'd speculate if you could blend screen-shots of both eyes you'd have one black cross a bit to the left, one a bit to the right and finally your red cross in the middle.

To really have it centered you'd need to have the screen-shot from the third camera somewhere in the middle of the HoloLens which it doesn't have I think.

Hope this helps.

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.

• Hi,
    I experience the same problem while using 3d viewer beta on the hololens. My eyes perceive a perfect alignment but when i do media capturing (taking a picture thru cortana) the alignment is off on the picture.
    @stepan_stulov I have actually tried another 3rd party app that did not have this problem. Do you guys think this is a software based problem?