Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

MixedRealityPortal.exe faults

Hi,

I cannot get the Mixed Reality Portal to start; every time I run it I see the window app outline for a second, and then it crashes. Here's the relevant event log entry:

Faulting application name: MixedRealityPortal.exe, version: 10.0.16299.125, time stamp: 0x5a29baec
Faulting module name: MixedRealityPortal.exe, version: 10.0.16299.125, time stamp: 0x5a29baec
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0000000000017902
Faulting process id: 0x34bc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d37559f3862375
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.HolographicFirstRun_cw5n1h2txyewy\MixedRealityPortal.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.HolographicFirstRun_cw5n1h2txyewy\MixedRealityPortal.exe
Report Id: be90e653-f962-49a2-a3f5-a012ac667912
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.HolographicFirstRun_10.0.16299.125_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the Mixed Reality and running system file checker, but still get the same results.

Best Answer

• Options
    HeatherHeather
    Answer ✓

I actually ended up adding a second video card. The first, which was a Radeon R9 Fury, apparently needs an adapter to work with MR. I also did a fresh install of Windows 10 onto a clean volume and presto, it's working now.

Thanks for the response!

Answers

• Options

Give us detailed info on your computer hardware you are using, Processor, Graphics Card etc.... there are a lot of us here on this forum actually running the Portal on equipment not certified for use by Microsoft.... most times it appears to processor or graphics driver or display cable incompatibility issues. We need detailed info to troubleshoot.

Legacy MCSE SCO ACE CompTIA A+ Network+ Professional.
    Former Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT), Authorized UNIX & LINUX Trainer, Accountant.

• Options
    HeatherHeather
    Answer ✓

I actually ended up adding a second video card. The first, which was a Radeon R9 Fury, apparently needs an adapter to work with MR. I also did a fresh install of Windows 10 onto a clean volume and presto, it's working now.

Thanks for the response!