Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

acer mr headset random black screen

I can start pretty much any app but after a few minutes my headset's screen goes black. The preview on my desktop is still showing the content just fine and continues tracking etc.

I'm using a GTX 1080 HDMI port for the visual side and a USB 3.0 port on the back of my asus maximus viii ranger mobo. When it happens I have to reconnect or try to toggle simulation on and off again to get the headset display going.

Is this some kind of compatibility issue? When there is no black screen in the headset everything seems fine.

Thanks.

Answers

• @llavin The device drivers are buggy, there are many of us on this site experiencing a variety of display glitches, conflicts. Your graphic card appears to be supported. If you would like us to assist, post additional info such as your Dxdiag results, Your Windows Mixed Reality PC Check screen ... that will help us troubleshoot & resolve your issues.

Legacy MCSE SCO ACE CompTIA A+ Network+ Professional.
    Former Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT), Authorized UNIX & LINUX Trainer, Accountant.

• Did you ever figure this out @llavin ? I'm having the same issue with my samsung odyssey and my gtx 1080. Please get back with me.

• Had this issue on my Acer a month ago.. now I just have black screen. Nothing. Tracking is working fine though, can see it in mixed reality app.

• Hello. I am just testing the Acer MR device at the very moment, didn´t start programming yet, as I recieved my headset on 31.01.18. First sessions went on well but unfortunatley I am now facing those "black screens" too. Unfortunately I can´t tell when they exactly happen, although I found out it nearly always occours when I am browsing the MS Store (no offense, just an observation), but it isn´t a special movement or a specific action. It also happened when I opened Holograms once or twice, another time when I was browsing through holograms. I also faced that issue while watching a video in edge. Once after a few seconds, another time after a few minutes. I never happened in the big movie room while browsing netflix (maybe this helps).

Maybe it is also necessary to know I´ve started SteamVR a few days ago, maybe there is some interference.

You´ll find the DxDiag with present Acer Devices (Headset and one Controller activated), the results of the Reality Check as txt. file and as screenshot attached.

• @nationdemon Is this computer a Acer Predator 17 G9-791-75PV? DxDiag PC check log is referencing?

Former Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT), Authorized UNIX & LINUX Trainer, Accountant.

• @thorpeca said:
    @nationdemon Is this computer a Acer Predator 17 G9-791-75PV? DxDiag PC check log is referencing?

Hello, sorry, didn´t get a notice of that mail, so I stumbled over it today.

Yes it is. It worked fine the first three or four days and then - out of sudden - the black screens occured

• I suspect graphics driver conflicts with the windows updates installing on your systems..... there have been a range of issues since Dec 2017..... check with Nvidia for solutions.

• @thorpeca: I´ll do so. Thank you very much.

• edited February 2018

We are having the same exact problem that started in December 2017. We were planning to release our product (A multiplayer VR arcade experience using MSI VR ONE_GTX 1060 and Acer Visor) in March with WMR, but if the problem continues we will have to go back to Vive.

• Have you picked up the latest insider build? The one they pushed out in Jan fixed all the black screen issues I was having that were created by an update in Dec 2017 and it's gotten steadily better with each build. They just released the first RS5 skip-ahead yesterday so RS4(what you'd get if you grab the regular fast insider build) should be on track to push out(hopefully) next month. I -really- hate that they don't list WMR fixes/improvements in the release notes. For all I know 16299.248 that should have been pushed out Tuesday might include the fixes.

• Hello everyone,I've been having this same issue for a while now and while experimenting I discovered a very simple workaround.
    While it does not fix the issue it lets you continue whatever you where doing without restarting the headset and closing everything.
    All you have to do is create a .bat file that exits upon opening and run it as an ADMIN (Running anything as an admin triggers the fix as long as the window asking to allow the program to make changes appears)
    Upon selecting yes or no the prompt will close and your headset will turn back on.
    I've been using this method for nearly a month straight without a single hiccup on multiple computers so I would say this "fix" can help either solve or temporarily amend your problems.

P.S. I am by no means technically efficient and this was discovered through sheer coincidence,If someone more technically inclined can replicate this we may be able to get a legitimate fix out to the public.

• Any fixes here? i have the same problem and tried everything i could find on the internet (Adapters,USB Ports and even the run as admin from above). Its ALL not working. What the hell is wrong here with Microsoft? This cant be a device fault because every headset (acer,samung,lenovo etc.) is getting this error...its extremly frustrating with no statement from microsoft regarding this issue

• If any of you are running the latest build 17112 in the Windows Insiders FAST lane..... this build broke the Mixed Reality Portal App Display start up.... Microsoft is aware, they just allowed our system to update without telling us.

• i am on windows 10 pro version 1709 with systembuild 16299.248

• xnItRoHDxnItRoHD
    edited March 2018

upgraded to insider build 17110.1000 now and now i cant even run the HMD "windows mixed reality software cannot be downloaded" ...

edit back to windows 10 pro version 1709 with systembuild 16299.248 again with black screen ^^

• @AkaRaiden said:
    Hello everyone,I've been having this same issue for a while now and while experimenting I discovered a very simple workaround.
    While it does not fix the issue it lets you continue whatever you where doing without restarting the headset and closing everything.
    All you have to do is create a .bat file that exits upon opening and run it as an ADMIN (Running anything as an admin triggers the fix as long as the window asking to allow the program to make changes appears)
    Upon selecting yes or no the prompt will close and your headset will turn back on.
    I've been using this method for nearly a month straight without a single hiccup on multiple computers so I would say this "fix" can help either solve or temporarily amend your problems.

P.S. I am by no means technically efficient and this was discovered through sheer coincidence,If someone more technically inclined can replicate this we may be able to get a legitimate fix out to the public.

Can you post the .bat file you created?

Thanks,

Augment the cloud

• I had the Acer HMD almost within a month of it being released.
    Worked great until I updated Unity & VS2017 from VS2015.
    Same problem on a new surface book 2 with the same build.

I can get the MHD display to recover for about 20 seconds by unplugging the HDMI for 5 seconds and plugging back in, but it only lasts for 20 seconds.

The display will get very bright then turn off. It's not over heating.

The preview shows the unit is working and the controllers are visible by the HMD.

Turning on/off Developer mode doesn't resolve the issue.

i7 8650, 16GB
    GTX 1060 6GB DDR5

Augment the cloud

• Hello, I recently bought an HP Mixed Reality Headset, and have encountered this issue randomly. Do we have any insight into the reason why?

Also, now it seems if I turn on PC with headset connected it is not recognized. If I disconnect the headset cable and reconnect, it is now active/good, launches Mixed Reality Portal.

i5-4590
    GTX 1050 TI
    12 GB DDR3

Below all checks out and passes, and visually, when it works is not problematic. Sometimes, the screen will go to black and come back, and then sometimes it just stays off.

Is this just defective?

Thank you
    -Jeff

• i think i found the solution but im not 100% sure.

this is what i did:
    Go to Device manager > Mixed Reality devices > (your headset) > Drivers > Update Drivers > Search automatically for updated driver software > search for updated drivers on windows update.

and than there should come a new windows update

and also do: Device manager > Mixed Reality devices > (your headset) > power management > and turn of ( allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

afther i did this the headset worked without problems. ill let you guys know if i get a blackscreen again otherwise this worked for me :)