Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

What apps are available on the Hololens app store?

I'm in wave 3 for the Hololens, but before I ordered mine I wanted to know if I would be able to download other developers' apps. I've seen video demos of the hololens but they primarily only show the standard apps created by Microsoft, but nothing new. I've also had no luck finding anything about the availability of other apps anywhere else on around the internet.

I think it would be interesting to see what other developers have already created and start using them to not only provide feedback, but also start integrating the Hololens into daily life as a regular computer. As I understand it, Microsoft is trying to come up with a 'killer' app to help launch the device, but without letting us use each other's apps and offer comments and critiques, we may miss something that could have been truly fantastic. If this is not already being done, I feel like the Hololens is only going to be delayed for consumer use.

For now, though, I wanted to know if I should shell out the $3000 for a device. I understand it's not going to happen overnight, but I would like this device to eventually be able to be used as a regular computer, not just a test subject. If I won't be able to use other developers' apps, I feel like I should just wait until a cheaper consumer ready device hits the market, while I develop solely through the emulator. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts, especially those already with a device.

Answers

• Yes, you can get others' apps from the Store. Some are free, some have a price. These have just recently started appearing, and it's actually pretty cool to see them popping up and to see what others are deciding to do with the HoloLens.

Microsoft probably already has their killer with Minecraft. Some of their other apps are also pretty impressive -- not mindblowing, but enjoyable new experiences.

My main caution if you're thinking of buying is to look carefully at estimates of the active FOV. It's large enough to do what you need to do, but the limited space has definitely constrained the experience from my point of view. That, alongside Microsoft's apparent decision not to entertain much discussion on the topic, remains my biggest disappointment. The device is still fun and a game changer, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't benefit from expanded FOV, and a lot of people seem to be in denial about this. I don't know whether it's a technical constraint, monetary, battery life, or what. If MS expands it they'll seriously be in the catbird's seat, and I would very much like to see this unfold because I'm a HoloLens fan and have been since I saw the first vids about it.