Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

my Lenovo Mixed reality headset will not turn on.

rizzoratrizzorat
edited January 2018 in Troubleshooting

My headset tracks and the controllers work but my headset is always black.

Windows Mixed Reality PC Check [20180114-175101]

You're good to go
Your PC has what it takes to run Windows Mixed Reality.

Ok    Operating system    Windows 10 Fall Creators Update or later       
Ok    Graphics card       Radeon RX 560 Series                           
Ok    Graphics driver     22.19.677.257 (WDDM 2.2)                       
Ok    CPU                 AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor            
Ok    RAM                 16 GB                                          
Ok    Disk space          1 TB                                           
Ok    USB                 3.0+                                           
Ok    Bluetooth           4.0+                                           

Why won't it turn on?

Answers

• Options

I had the same issue with a Samsung HMD Odyssey. The 17074 Insider build got me back up and running.

• Options

Thanks for the suggestion but after installing the 17074 insiders build there wasn't any change. I still can't get the headset to turn on.

• Options

Only comment I can ask is, are you plugging directly into the computer the with the HDMI and the usb connections, or are they going though either a USB hub or extension cables? I've had very mixed results using usb hubs that I resorted to a direct connection to the pc, and have also had quite mixed results with hdmi extension cables.

Can I assume you have the Mixed Reality Portal application running? Without the Mixed Reality Portal running, the whole VR thing will never work. Does the Mixed Reality Portal have any error messages at all?

• Options

I am plugged directly into the computer with both HDMI and USB 3.0. The mixed reality portal is running and it even tracks when moving the headset around and the hand controllers work but I am not getting any image in the headset. Is there an issue with my usb drivers?

• Options

Can you verify that the HDMI port works on your video card with another monitor? If so, can you also check that you have windows set up to extend the display on that HDMI port (when using another monitor in it) instead of mirroring it? (Long shot, but I have seen that setting stick on other PCs, but no idea if that would apply here.)

After that, would be to try it on another PC, otherwise, perhaps the backlight lcd display on the headset is busted? (Since I don't think it would be an issue with the USB port if it is tracking the headset around when you are doing a room trace)

• Options
    rizzoratrizzorat
    edited January 2018

I have 2 monitors on the PC now, 1 on HDMI and another 1 on DVI so I know the ports work and set up to extend the display. I just noticed that on the monitor in the house it says "Input is currently being directed to the desktop and not the head mounted display. Press Win+Y to switch back." but when I do nothing changes.

• Options
    edited January 2018

The Win + Y prompt is normal, as the message says, that is for "input" switching between the keyboard and WMR controllers, this has nothing to do with output.

If you don't have another PC to test the headset on, does the preview work in the Windows Mixed Reality Portal? (the play button on the bottom of the windows Mixed Reality Portal window) If the preview is displaying and the display is moving around when moving your headset, I really think it could be the backlight isn't working within the headset. (The default for my headset is a black area with just a little bit of text saying to look around and down to find its 'playspace' again, I forget what is presented in the headset the first time.)

This could also be similar to https://forums.hololens.com/discussion/9478/no-display-in-hp-wmr-headset