Hello everyone.

We have decided to phase out the Mixed Reality Forums over the next few months in favor of other ways to connect with us.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

The plan between now and the beginning of May is to clean up old, unanswered questions that are no longer relevant. The forums will remain open and usable.

On May 1st we will be locking the forums to new posts and replies. They will remain available for another three months for the purposes of searching them, and then they will be closed altogether on August 1st.

So, where does that leave our awesome community to ask questions? Well, there are a few places we want to engage with you. For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality. If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers. And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Spatial Mapping without WiFi. Does that work?

pstuevenpstueven ✭✭
edited January 2018 in Questions And Answers

As the spatial mapping or the tracking of the spaces works with WiFi, I wonder whether it is possible to track spaces where there is no WiFi, e.g. in a newly developed area with just raw buildings.
Also: Is it possible to have multiple rooms not overwritten if there is just a mobile hotspot, e.g. from a phone?

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• I am pretty sure that HoloLens spatial mapping still works even without Wifi but, I mean I haven't ever really tried it, but it doesn't need internet if that is what you're getting at. However, I have noticed slightly that if you are in the same place and have two different networks I do believe it creates two different spaces. I only say this because sometimes when I turn it on (I have two wifi networks) it will ask me which space I want to use.

AR Developer

• Hey @dbarrett ,
    thanks for the answer. It is not the internet that I worry about(although I need it for the app). I guess I will have to try myself sometime and see whether it is possible or not.