Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Is it REALLY this bad? THIS is WMR?!!! No wonder they didn't call it VR, THERE'S NO VR!!!

I just gave up my Rift thinking I was UPGRADING!! WOW< I can't believe how bad it is! The tracking is just,. non existent,..
My number one complaint, I can't tell what games are 'VR' and which are 2D flat garbage (I don't do ANYTHING 2D, ever), All the games seem to be jumbled together, and There doesn't seem to be a SINGLE VR game,..Certainly no free ones,..

btw, I don't say WMR,
I am NEVER SAYING 'Windows Mixed Reality' it is VR and Nothing BUT VR.
_ VR!_

WHERE THE HECK ARE THE VR GAMES? I SEE A HUGE LONG LIST OF BAD 'FREE GAMES' BUT THERE IS NO WAY TO DETERMINE WHAT IS WHAT, OR IF EVEN A SINGLE ONE, IS VR,. ,.. THIS IS A NIGHTMARE,.. i WANT MY RIFT BACK i DON'T CARE ABOUT THE RESOLUTION!

18 DAMN GIGABYTES TO DOWNLOAD THIS HALO WARS 2 THING AND IT DOESN'T SAY IF IT'S A 2D ROLLER DERBY GAME, A card trading game OR fricking VR! I HATE THIS!

Comments

• Get SteamVR. You won't regret it.

• If you are referring to the microsoft store, go down to "Collections" and then to "Windows Mixed Reality Experiences". Certain headset mfgs have some value added apps too, check the app for your particular device(for example, my Odyssey gives 4 free games). All the 2D stuff it show that any UWP app can be used while in VR. For example, using the camera app to view what's going on in the real world, replying to skype/facebook/etc messages without having to take your headset off, seeing your stock tickers, whatever.

The reason why it's Windows Mixed Reality is because that's the name of the overall platform. HoloLens is an augmented reality, not virtual reality, device. Calling the whole thing Windows Virtual Reality wouldn't be correct for all the existing and potential devices/applications.

In addition to SteamVR, you can pick up Revive and use your WMR headset with your existing Rift collection.

• HoloTour is a half decent immersive experience.
    Space pirate trainer is a decent 3d shooter and gunspinner is ok (great for £2 from the store)

Actual wmr content does seem to be limited, some vive & rift titles from stream be should work but it's trial and error.

It does feel like MS rushed this to market, I really hope it catches up and doesn't go the way of Windows phone.
    Get it on the market before the Dev support is in place so no apps so no traction so no Dev interest etc...

Wanted a rift, couldn't justify the money, got wnr free so gait to wait and see what happens
  • @GrantsonUk said:
    HoloTour is a half decent immersive experience.
    Space pirate trainer is a decent 3d shooter and gunspinner is ok (great for £2 from the store)

Actual wmr content does seem to be limited, some vive & rift titles from stream be should work but it's trial and error.

It does feel like MS rushed this to market, I really hope it catches up and doesn't go the way of Windows phone.
    Get it on the market before the Dev support is in place so no apps so no traction so no Dev interest etc...

Wanted a rift, couldn't justify the money, got wnr free so gait to wait and see what happens

THANKS!! I can't deny your logic! I got the Rift, then a 3rd controller, then, because I had 'extended exchange' time at Best Buy (bought in mid December) I went ahead and got then SAMSUNG ODYSSEY,. I LOVE my Samsung Note 4 and my Samsung Tab A 10.1" so I figure it should be of a level of quality,.
    It is indeed a lovely device, but the SOFTWARE side is so shockingly bad.
    As a developer, I could always, within hours of trying, program games and APPS in engine like UNITY, for RIFT, VIVE, Playstation, and even Gear VR with Samsung Motion Controller, BUT NOT WITH SAMSNG ODYSSEY and WMR, Not in WEEKS and WEEKS of TRYNG!! Because Microsoft is involved here, and they 'THINK' they know better, they've gone about changing how it's ALL DONE,..
    Which of course will kill it, in the end!!!

With every other platform you get an SDK, you get a CAMERA Prefab, with Graphics Representations of the Controllers, (programmed with the buttons, etc...)

All one usually has to do, if they want to do something like, Work in VR using UNITY's 'EditorXR', is DROP THE OCULUS, OR STEAM/VIVE, OR GEAR VR, ETC SDK into the project and go to menu: Windows/EditorXR . Boom you are editing in VR it's amazing,.
    HOWEVER, YOU CAN'T GET THERE FROM HERE if you have ANY WMR HMD! Simply because they decided to change everything nd use Windows Universal Platform, so when you ask about a TYPICAL, AVERAGE HMD SDK KIT, Like we have all had and used for YEARS for the other HMD's, they say 'oh it's all in there!! :) It's supported natively!" So you spend another few weeks searching and trying. Experimenting,.. AND WASTING PRECIOUS TIME.... With no documentation, no luck. The BEST you can do is use STEAM (in NON Universal Windows Unity Setup) and then you are EDITING IN VR WITH GRAPHIC REPRESENTATIONS OF VIVE CONTROLLERS while Holding Samsung Odyssey Controllers!!!! Unacceptable.

When they stop worrying about being DIFFERENT, When they realize NO ONE WANTS WINDOWS FLAT 2D GAMES in VR, When they just start releasing infoand SDK's they way it's always done,. THEN they have a hope of LONG TERM RELEVANCE.
    Better they should partner with companies like UNITY and AUTODESK so you can use these TIOYS as TOOLS and change the world! I want to work in VR not PLAY. I am very angry Microsoft has made it so hard (actually implossible I would say) to make use of this Samsung Odyssey they ways I could my RIFT,. With no simple PREFABS that have the Controller Graphics like with EVERY OTHER VR (or XR or MR blah blah blah...) SOLUTION, it's pretty much a useless toy,.. A WINDOWS TOY no less, HAHAHAH WHY ON EARTH DIDN'T THEY PUT THE VR (or XR or MR BLAH BLAH BLAH...) stuff RIGHT UP IN FRONT , NON THE TOP,I have to go searching? Well I won't! No one else will either, like me, they will spend much time assuming it BITES, and has no content, (it barely has any anyways and it won't the way they refuse to help developers with simple prefabs or info..) I have searched all the usual places, there is NO good, simple, concise information about these even in mid February 2018. MICROSOFT, GIVE US A SIMPLE SDK WITH PREFABS, like every other manufacturer has.

WE DON'T CARE IF IT'S NATIVELY SUPPORTED, or ABOUT YOUR UNIVERSAL PLATFORM, (THAT IS MOST CERTAINLY NOT UNIVERSAL IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM!) From a Developers POV, IT'S ALL A MESS!!! I should NOT have this much trouble finding a prefab of the SAMSUNG ODYSSEY with Graphics Controllers into UNITY, but WEEKS and WEEKS, later. still no luck!. Rift took me 10 minutes before I was up and running in EditorXR then building a successful app. I don't blame SAMSUNG, Microsoft invented the platform, Microsoft invited them to play,..

Here's the simplest way to explain my predicament:

If I search for this on google:
    'oculus rift unity sdk camera prefab'

I get this as the top result:
    https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/unity/latest/concepts/unity-utilities-overview/
    PERFECTION! Up and running!

If I search for this in Google:
    'Samsung Oddysey HMD Windows Mixed Reality unity sdk camera prefab'

I get this as the top result:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/before-you-buy-faqs HHAHAHAHAHAH HHAHAHAH

With the easy to find RIFT info, you are UP AND RUNNING and editing in EditorXR, outputting builds, IN 5 MINUTES! With the Samsung, Microsoft info, YOU ARE STILL SEARCHING 5 WEEKS LATER for a simple SDK and PREFAB!!!!
    Sorry this message isn't all to YOU, I'm sort of VENTING I guess, I have about 3 days left before I have to decide to keep this thing or go back to a RIFT,... This thing has great RESOLUTION, but the Microsoft part of it all, is a NIGHTMARE and A BAD JOKE.,... MONEY MAKING is clearly their only COMMITEE GROUP THINKING Goal,. BUT they are not long term thinkers because they have NOT done it in a typical way, that Developers are used to, they have ADDED MASSIVE NEW LEVELS OF WORK, Just to FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO WHAT WE HAVE DONE FOR YEARS>
    ALL OVER AGAIN. .... HOW FUN!!!
    They pissed off the developer community and LOST A HUGE OPPORTUNITY -
    The Opportunity to make a FIRST IMPRESSION!

(Windows PHONE??? When was that!?!?)

• I hope Microsoft or Samsung releases a typical SDK with prefab required for EditorXR, for the ODYSSEY HMD - If I don't find a solution to work in EditorXR In the next few days, I will be forced to switch back to a RIFT!

Windows Phone??! Like on a Laptop?

• @NXTwoThou said:
    If you are referring to the microsoft store, go down to "Collections" and then to "Windows Mixed Reality Experiences". Certain headset mfgs have some value added apps too, check the app for your particular device(for example, my Odyssey gives 4 free games). All the 2D stuff it show that any UWP app can be used while in VR. For example, using the camera app to view what's going on in the real world, replying to skype/facebook/etc messages without having to take your headset off, seeing your stock tickers, whatever.

The reason why it's Windows Mixed Reality is because that's the name of the overall platform. HoloLens is an augmented reality, not virtual reality, device. Calling the whole thing Windows Virtual Reality wouldn't be correct for all the existing and potential devices/applications.

In addition to SteamVR, you can pick up Revive and use your WMR headset with your existing Rift collection.

I sure appreciate your help, yeah I saw the MR offerings, really sparse! And here they are losing two more Startup VR Companies RIGHT NOW this MINUTE (I am deciding as I type,.).. I tried revive, on the simplest app there is, AIRCAR, on my RIFT I can RAMP the SETTING all to the TOP,. with the Odyssey on the Same exact computer, I can barely play it at base default low settings, very choppy.. I REALLY wanted this to work,. They should have a computer tuning app that optimizes machines and finds problems,

I have Gigabyte Gaming 3 motherboard,
    i7-7700 4.2Ghz,
    16GB DDR4 1600 XMP,
    Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1060,
    and a WD Black M.2 SSD drive!

If I can't run this, it's not MY fault, RIFT LOVED my Machine!

I can't keep the Samsung past Saturday, I will run out of time to exchange at Best Buy,. I have had a problem where the controller just stopper working,.. I emailed tech at Samsung, I said if they can get me new controller by Saturday, I will forego exchanging for my RIFT back and be in for the long haul.. (I highly doubt they will do it) I showed them my NextWorldVR and SchoolHomeVR sites and told them of our plans, if they want new unique offerings, they need to be there for their Developers,. I have called them all week,.. Finally resorted to email! ANYWAYS, THANKS for responding!!! ;~) I secretly hope they send new controllers.. My two, (bought new, in normal bundle...), DON'T EVEN HAVE THE SAME MODEL NUMBER! and sure enough they always exhibited different behaviours,. The one turns on the SECOND I touch the button, then goes right to LOW lights, the other I have to hold for like 4 long seconds, and it goes directly to the BRIGHT lights!,..!!!)

• SOME GOOD NEWS! THE GENUIS VR god THAT MADE REVIVE, Is working on a direct version so Oculus Library works in CLIFF HOUSE and SIPS the whole STEAMS PATHWAY (That should considerably improve thing with Steam AND Steam VR out of the equation between WMR and Oculus! There is hope! I just hope they can find a way to get EditorXR in Unity working, it is AMAZING (I mean working with true representations of the ODYSSEY controllers not VIVE ones,..) - I guess there is the possibility Microsoft and Samsung will continue to improve ! Sometimes I think I see things are static and forget they might get better!