Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Hololens Emulator not appearing as a debug target

LanceLance
edited April 2016 in Questions And Answers

I do not see the Hololens Emulator in the list of target devices. I see the mobile emulators, local machine, simulator and remote machine as targets.

Here is a screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/WQVeCVyx

Some information about my setup:

• Running on a Surface Book (i7 256GB dGPU)
  • I updated from VS2015 Update 1 running UWP Tools 1.2 to Update 2
  • I installed the Hololens SDK after before VS Update 2 but then uninstalled it and reinstalled after Update 2 was done.
  • I have no problem running Windows 10 Mobile emulator

Here are some relevant facts:

• I've tried both a 2D and a 3D SharpDX "File > New" project with a build configuration of x86
  • Here is my VS info:
    --- Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2015: Version 14.0.25123.00 Update 2
    --- Visual Studio Tools for Universal Windows Apps 14.0.25123.00

• Here is my Hololens installation info:
    --- Microsoft Hololens Emulator v 10.0.11082.1039
    --- Emulator Image v 10.0.11082.1039

What did I miss and how can fix this?

Thanks,
Lance

Microsoft MVP - Windows Development
More about me and my credentials

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Have you checked this:
    In the BIOS, the following features must be supported and enabled:
    Hardware-assisted virtualization
    Second Level Address Translation (SLAT)
    Hardware-based Data Execution Prevention (DEP)

Also if Hyper-V is installed?

• I can run other emulators, Hyper-V isn't the problem.

• @Lance said:
    I can run other emulators, Hyper-V isn't the problem.

I've run into this a few times and the only thing that helped was restarting VS and/or sometimes re-generating the csproj. Repairing the emulator install from add/remove programs also fixed it once.

Another time, running the emulator independently (shortcut below) got it to show up as a target next time I started VS.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft XDE\10.0.11082.0\XDE.exe" /name "HoloLens Emulator 10.0.11082.1039." /displayName "HoloLens Emulator 10.0.11082.1039" /vhd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Emulation\HoloLens\10.0.11082.1039\flash.vhd" /video "1268x720" /memsize 2048 /language 409 /creatediffdisk "C:\Users\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XDE\10.0.11082.1039\dd.1268x720.2048.vhd" /fastShutdown /sku HD

• @Dwight_Goins_EE_MVP said:
    I had to disable one of my GPU's didn't matter which one. That allows you to start

How did you disable it, detach the keyboard or use the NVIDA tool to explicitly choose the dGPU for the Hololens XDE?

• @wintermoot said:
    I've run into this a few times and the only thing that helped was restarting VS and/or sometimes re-generating the csproj. Repairing the emulator install from add/remove programs also fixed it once.

I've done a complete uninstall and reinstall of everything, did a fresh "File > New" and it still doesn't show up.

Another time, running the emulator independently (shortcut below) got it to show up as a target next time I started VS.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft XDE\10.0.11082.0\XDE.exe" /name "HoloLens Emulator 10.0.11082.1039." /displayName "HoloLens Emulator 10.0.11082.1039" /vhd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Emulation\HoloLens\10.0.11082.1039\flash.vhd" /video "1268x720" /memsize 2048 /language 409 /creatediffdisk "C:\Users\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XDE\10.0.11082.1039\dd.1268x720.2048.vhd" /fastShutdown /sku HD

The full path gives me an error about an XML file being missing, but when I run it from an elevated CMD prompt, I don't get anything.

I will try another emulator repair and instead of a File > New, use the Galaxy Explorer app.

• @Dwight_Goins_EE_MVP said:
    Try creating a C++ Holographic project and seeing if the emulator shows up. This may kick start it.

This did the trick, thanks!

• edited April 2016

To disable the dGPU, I just went to device manager and disabled one of the display adapters. Let me see if the NVidia tool will work as well... Thanks for the tip on NVidia I had totally forgotten about that!

Update: That worked... using the NVidia tool keeps me from having to disable the dGPU in Surface Book - sweet!

Dwight Goins
    CAO & Founder| Independent Architect | Trainer and Consultant | Sr. Enterprise Architect
    MVP | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer
    http://dgoins.wordpress.com