Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

I am unable to make other object besides the astronaut recognizable and interactive with gaze

I am unable to make other object besides the astronaut recognizable and interactive with gaze scripts. I wanted to incorporate the gaze features into my own project but the cursor does not recognize the object and I can't get any other features to work on anything except the astronaut. Is there some special property that the astronaut has that my other objects are missing. For instance I wanted to make a simple cube interactive and follow me around with Gaze but I am unsuccessful.

Answers

• AlexDAlexD ✭✭✭

Nothing special is needed. Just that your objects have a collider on them so a Raycast can hit them

• My objects do have colliders on them, bu the cursor still appears white and hazy when i go over them, indicating there is nothing there.

• AlexDAlexD ✭✭✭

Could it be that the world mesh interferes somehow?

• @Tylerbah

After you have correctly copied the HoloToolkit into a new unity project and made all of the appropriate HoloLens project setting adjustments you would then do the following to get the gaze and gesture manager scripts working:

• add empty game object to root of your scene hierarchy (name it ModelBase)
    • add 3D model (like a cube) as child of ModelBase
    • add 3D box collider as component of ModelBase
    • size 3D box collider to slightly larger than 3D model (in all dimensions) be sure to include the models origin inside 3D box collider area
    • add Cursor prefab from HTK to root of your scene hierarchy
    • add another empty game object to root of your screen hierarchy (name it Managers)
    • add GazeManager script from HTK as component of Managers
    • add GestureManager script from HTK as component of Managers
    • add SpatialMapping prefab from HTK to root of hierarchy (turn off Draw Visual Meshes checkbox)
    • add TapToPlace script as component to ModelBase

Build and deploy.
    You should be able to gaze at your 3D object and Airtap on it to engage the spatial mapping and move the object around. The next Airtap should place your object where you were gazing at (on the spatial mapped surface) and the spatial mapping should turn off.

Let me know if you have any problems or questions.
    HTH

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• ContextVRContextVR ✭✭✭

@Tylerbah Each of the interactive parts of the astronaut has a special component called Interactible attached to it. Try adding Interactible component to your cube and see if that helps.

• @HoloSheep said:
    After you have correctly copied the HoloToolkit into a new unity project and made all of the appropriate HoloLens project setting adjustments you would then do the following to get the gaze and gesture manager scripts working:

• size 3D box collider to slightly larger than 3D model (in all dimensions) be sure to include the models origin inside 3D box collider area
    • add another empty game object to root of your screen hierarchy (name it Managers)
    • add SpatialMapping prefab from HTK to root of hierarchy (turn off Draw Visual Meshes checkbox)

Build and deploy.
    You should be able to gaze at your 3D object and Airtap on it to engage the spatial mapping and move the object around. The next Airtap should place your object where you were gazing at (on the spatial mapped surface) and the spatial mapping should turn off.

Hi there! I came across this thread looking for a basic example of how to use the TapToPlace script. This seemed like a nice, clean example, so I followed the directions above with a new unity project. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. I see the cube, but I see no indication of the Spatial Mapping working. When I air tap the cube, nothing happens.

I was wondering whether there were any details not included in these steps that would be key to making this work? Can you elaborate on exactly what project settings need to be applied?

Are there any other good, basic examples on how to use this script? The Holograms 230 tutorial doesn't use the TapToPlace script.

Thanks!

Chuck

• Figured it out. I needed to go to Edit -> Project Settings -> Player, and under the Windows Store section, in the Publish Settings enable the SpatialPerception capability. Then it worked.

• Hey @ChuckSpencer, yes when I presented the talk there were a few other bits of info (like the capabilities) that I glazed over here when I generalized in the statement
    "made all of the appropriate HoloLens project setting adjustments".

Apologies for skipping this important nugget in my post, but I hope now that you figured it out it will stick with you.

The same steps caused the same struggle for someone else in a similar thread when I pointed them back here earlier.

I will be sure to make this clear if/when I do a YouTube redo of the talk.

• @HoloSheep

Thanks for the instructions!

However, I cant get this simple example to work. After following your instructions step-by-step, i see the cube in the Emulator, I see the cursor, but I when I right-click (AirTap) on the cube and move the gaze with the mouse, the cube is not selected and not moved.

I have made all the appropriate adjustments before building (Spatial Perception, Virtual reality Supported, etc.).

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!
    Michael

• @mdouk have you tried putting debug.log or break statements into the TapToPlace script or other scripts like the GestureManager to see if the lines of code in question are being reached?

• @HoloSheep said:
    @mdouk have you tried putting debug.log or break statements into the TapToPlace script or other scripts like the GestureManager to see if the lines of code in question are being reached?

I have managed to achieve this functionality after studying the TapToPlace scene from the Suport folder of HoloToolkit. Still don't understand what i was doing wrong though...
    The important thing is that i understand what the TapToPlace scene does, so I am moving forward: scale and rotate the object.

Do you know how can I achieve the resize (scale) manipulation offered by the stock MS Holograms app?

thanks for the help!

• I have tried Tutorial 211...I guess this is where I should start...

• i followed this thread but nothing happens.

here under, i state you what i did.

i have a game object called Manager where i attached gaze,gesture and world ancor manager.

i added the cursor prefab from htk and even the spatial mapping prefab from htk.

my cube object is a child of Models.
    models has the taptoplace script and the box collider bigger than the cube.
    Models is placed at(0,0,2) while cube has transform.position(0,0,0) from parent.

i also have the right settings of unity but still the object doesn't move. what am i doing wrong?
    i also noticed that the cursor,after i make a tap, starts having problem to distinguish a hologram. it is supposed to be a ring when it hits a hologram and a point light otherwise but then after an airtap i keeps on being a ring and it turns to point light only once in a while.

• Hi there,

This is wat im trying to create. Ive a 3D Model in fbx format. I want to Click and place near me like other holograms. Can anyone help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_QcSmStr40

• @Jones said:
    Hi there,

This is wat im trying to create. Ive a 3D Model in fbx format. I want to Click and place near me like other holograms. Can anyone help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_QcSmStr40

Have you been able to go through the origami tutorial? It goes over this.

• @HoloSheep said:
    @Tylerbah

Build and deploy.

Let me know if you have any problems or questions.
    HTH

Now with HoloToolkit 5.5, there seems to be no GestureManager available. The comments on TapToPlace.cs script still asks to use GestureManager. Do you know how TapToPlace works in latest HoloToolkit?

• Hi @HoloSheep,
    i also followed your instructions but nothing happens! i am just seeing the cube and nothing else happens. @R0jin your right i cant find GestureManager neither so i put the GestureInput instead, maybe thats the point i am failing?! By the way, i couldnt go through the tutorials, cause every time i wanted to deploy there are appearing many errors. I am a bit upset, cause as an mechanical engineer in the making it's a new topic and a new world for me and in addition nearly nothing works, caused by errors and maybe the right updates... So people i just want to learn how to move, scale and rotate an object to go ahead. Has anybody of you guys any idea???

• @VR_HSRW1 I Finally realized how to move an object, using new HTK.

1. Create an empty game object called Collection
    2. Add a ( 3D model + 3D box colider ) as a child of the Collection game object.
    3. Add "Tap to Place" script as a component of the Collection game object.
    4. Create another game object called Manager
    5. Add Input Manager component as a child of the Manager game object.
    6. Add "World Anchor Manager" script as a component of Manager game object.

This method works for me and I was able to move the 3D object. However, it is not reliable and sometimes it doesn't work very smooth.

• Hi @R0jin,

thank you for your quick response.

thanks a lot for the short instruction, i'll test it and let you know. Maybe you have another idea how to rotate and scale an object too. If you were able to do so, please let me know, i would appreciate that.

• Hi @R0jin,

by the way, i am following your instructions but what do you mean with 5. Add Input Manager Component as a child of the manager game object?

Thank you

• Hi @HoloSheep,

i checked it out but i cant move the cube. I am just seeing the violet cursor thats it. What do you think could be the problem.
    I appreciate your help

Thank you

• @VR_HSRW1
    I meant Add Input Manager Prefabs from HTK as a child of Manager game object that you created previously.
    Also, you can find a good example of Tap To Place here

• @VR_HSRW1: For scale and rotate, look on YouTube for @subere23's video tutorial series on implementing scale and rotation. It's the best one I have found to date.

• Hi @R0jin,

i followed your instructions again but nothing works. I can neither gaze at the object nor move or interact with it. I dont know what the problem is but anyway i got complications understanding the scripts cause i study mechanical engineering and for me its hard stuff. So what do you suggest me.

Thank you

• Hi @Jesse_McCulloch,

i watched @subere23's videos as well but in some cases i did mistakes while following his instructions, anyway i'll definitvely try it again and appreciate your help.

Thank you

• KaibearKaibear
    edited March 2017

Okay I am getting mad on this here...

The videos and Tutorials of 210 HoloLens do not work, as I always have an issue on missing materials.

Then I tried what's mentioned here by @R0jin. Apparently, I have errors here as well, as Interactable Manager never gets initialized.

Now I wanted to try the test scene "TapToPlace". No errors. But the tap to place does not work in any manner. In the unedited Toolkit Scene.

Documentations everywhere seem to be deprecated and test scenes do not work anymore. Certainly I am stuck because documentation is currently PITA.

• Hello, did this ever get resolved? I have tried all of the above and unfortunately cannot get any object to 'TapToPlace' easily, apart from the Origami thing in Tutorial 101. There seems to be a number of conflicting methods, just one that works would be good....

| www.addreality.co.uk | info@addreality.co.uk |

• @HoloSheep
    I'm following your steps but I'm using unity 2017.3.1f1 and the latest HTK, there seems to be no GestureManager available. Any help with that?
    What am I supposed to use instead?

• dbarrettdbarrett ✭✭✭

@NourNabhan you should just have to add the InputManager prefab. It is under Input -> Prefabs in the MRTK folder.

AR Developer