Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

After renaming my device, can't connect to Windows Store App

Hello everyone,

I renamed my hololens, restarted it and I am not able anymore to connect to it via the app "Microsoft Hololens" from the Windows Store.

My erreur is: "Can't connect: we can't connect to {name}. Edit your device's IP address, user name or password, if they have changed, reconnect".

I did all of that. Developper mode is enabled, I can connect on the device portal via the explorer. I did "reset credential" too without success.

If you faced a similar problem, your help will be welcome. Thank you in advance.

Tagged:

Answers

• @Frimy
    Have you removed the old entry that you had for the device from the Companion app device list and then added it back after you renamed the device?

My experience has been that with the list of devices that you enter into the companion app are somewhat brittle and if you change things in your environment like the device name or change networks you may need to remove the old reference and add back a new one. The app does not automagically figure out that the renamed device is the same device with a different name and it does not provide a way for you to tell it that without deleting the old reference and adding a brand new entry for it.

HTH.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Hello,

Thank you very much for your answer. Yes I removed the old entry multiple times and that did not resolve my problem...

• @Frimy

Do you get an error when you try to add the device back by using its IP address?

Have you checked through the Advanced Networking settings on the device to confirm the IP address (which may have also changed, depending on your network).

When you renamed the device did you use any special characters and did you start the name with a alpha character?

• Hello, thank you for your answer. Yes I have this error when I add the device (after adding the IP, login and password). Yes, the IP address is OK and I can access the device portal normally.

The special character is a good question, it beggins with a "F" and there is a "_", maybe this could be a problem? I will try without the underscore.

• Hello, unfortunately, that did not resolve my issue. We have 3 hololens with almost the same names. We did the same thing on the 3, I even installed the certificate from the device portal. The 2 others finally connected to the application, but not mine and we don't know why.

• @Frimy

Did you find a resolution? Did it eventually just clear up?

If not, have you tried a forced Restart?

• Hello,

Thank you for your interrest in helping me.
    I did a reset of my device. Now it works only with my Microsoft Surface and not with my computer, that is still better than before when it worked with nothing.