Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

HOW TO USE OCCLUSION

edited November 2016 in Questions And Answers

I recently made a taptoplace app and successfully,I can move object through gaze.

can i change that so I can move objects with my hand?

the second question is:
I would like to be able to place objects only on the surface of the real object to make i more real.
as for now, i can put hologramms anywhere.
What i'm trying to achieve is to give my holograms a "physical characteristics" so that they can't be place anywhere.

i saw that in the hololens academy it possibly by mapping the space first but i was hoping if there is anyway to achieve that without having to map the space first.
my project will be used in a small space like a cabinet room.

hope you can help me with that.

Best Answer

• Options
    ahillierahillier mod
    Answer ✓

Hi @angelicaHolo,
    Loading the room as an .obj is just to help you test your project in the editor. It's not necessary (or recommended) to load it on the HoloLens.

When running on the HoloLens, you can start the spatial mapping observer as soon as your app begins and keep it running for as long as you like (or only turn it on/off when the user is placing an object). In Holograms 101, we keep spatial mapping on all of the time, we just don't render it unless you are moving the Origami collection.

You don't need to have a designated scanning time (we do that in Holograms 230 so that we can convert the meshes to planes and use them instead). You should be able to move holograms along real surfaces, like we do in Holograms 230, instead of allowing the user to place the object mid-air. However, if you don't allow enough time for the spatial mapping mesh to be built, there can be holes in your world. So, if the user is moving a hologram along the floor, but the floor has not been scanned completely, the hologram might fall through a hole and get stuck under the ground. This can be frustrating to the user. To work around this, you should raycast down from the object, and if you don't encounter a surface, then simply keep the object hovering at its current height.

I hope this helps,
    ~Angela

Answers

• Options

Hello, when you say "without having yo map the space first" it is without using the Space Mapping or loading the room as a .obj in Unity?

• Options

@Frimy i meant without loading the room as a .obj in unity.
    it sounds a lot of calculations and work for a project that will be used in a small space

• Options
    ahillierahillier mod
    Answer ✓

Hi @angelicaHolo,
    Loading the room as an .obj is just to help you test your project in the editor. It's not necessary (or recommended) to load it on the HoloLens.

When running on the HoloLens, you can start the spatial mapping observer as soon as your app begins and keep it running for as long as you like (or only turn it on/off when the user is placing an object). In Holograms 101, we keep spatial mapping on all of the time, we just don't render it unless you are moving the Origami collection.

You don't need to have a designated scanning time (we do that in Holograms 230 so that we can convert the meshes to planes and use them instead). You should be able to move holograms along real surfaces, like we do in Holograms 230, instead of allowing the user to place the object mid-air. However, if you don't allow enough time for the spatial mapping mesh to be built, there can be holes in your world. So, if the user is moving a hologram along the floor, but the floor has not been scanned completely, the hologram might fall through a hole and get stuck under the ground. This can be frustrating to the user. To work around this, you should raycast down from the object, and if you don't encounter a surface, then simply keep the object hovering at its current height.

I hope this helps,
    ~Angela

• Options

@ahillier said:
    Hi @angelicaHolo,

I hope this helps,
    ~Angela

i noticed the holes and the lag time between the air tap and object movement.
    i'll try to do what you suggested.
    thanks a lot!