Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Unable to see Holographic option under Universal in VS 2015 Update 3 enterprise edition

I have Windows 10 Pro, VS 2015 Update 3 Enterprise edition, still unable to see the option. What else I need to install?

Best Answers

• james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Dotnetavalanche,

A Holographic app is really just a UWP app (there's no separate project template if you are doing a C# UWP project) with the target in your Appxmanifest file set to "Windows.Holographic". Here are the instructions for doing that (it's a little weird since you can't use the appmanifest designer but instead have to open the file as text and do it manually).

If you want to create a 3D Holographic app, you would start in Unity and export your project to UWP. Here is a very basic tutorial for doing that.

A third option is possible if you want to create a DirectX project for the HoloLens. In this case there is C++ project template called Holographic DirectX 11 App (Universal Windows) you should use to get started. There's no C# template for this option.

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• HoloSheepHoloSheep mod
    Answer ✓

@Dotnetavalanche

Did you install the HoloLens emulator?

According to the Getting Started info on DirectX projects:

The holographic app templates are included in the same installer as the Microsoft HoloLens emulator. Also ensure that the option to install the templates is selected before installing.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

Answers

• @Dotnetavalanche

Have you checked to see if you have the Universal Windows App Development Tools and sdk installed under the Programs and Features window for Visual Studio?

• edited November 2016

Thanks for the reply. I checked it and they are already installed on my machine.

• james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Dotnetavalanche,

A Holographic app is really just a UWP app (there's no separate project template if you are doing a C# UWP project) with the target in your Appxmanifest file set to "Windows.Holographic". Here are the instructions for doing that (it's a little weird since you can't use the appmanifest designer but instead have to open the file as text and do it manually).

If you want to create a 3D Holographic app, you would start in Unity and export your project to UWP. Here is a very basic tutorial for doing that.

A third option is possible if you want to create a DirectX project for the HoloLens. In this case there is C++ project template called Holographic DirectX 11 App (Universal Windows) you should use to get started. There's no C# template for this option.

James Ashley

• Thanks James for detailed info. This will help me move forward. However this is what I was talking about ( pic taken from another PC)

• @Dotnetavalanche,

Let me give you some real help. I found the template in my visual studio directory and uploaded it on my onedrive for you.

James

James Ashley

• HoloSheepHoloSheep mod
    Answer ✓

@Dotnetavalanche

Did you install the HoloLens emulator?

According to the Getting Started info on DirectX projects:

The holographic app templates are included in the same installer as the Microsoft HoloLens emulator. Also ensure that the option to install the templates is selected before installing.

• i can see it in Emulator setup