Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Open Source Projects (Including a new one!)

Hey everyone, I am happy to share the news that we have a new GitHub repo for code which does not run on the HoloLens but pairs with the HoloLens to build experiences.

https://github.com/Microsoft/HoloLensCompanionKit

There are two subprojects in this initially, and it will grow over time. The two initial projects are:

• KinectIPD -- A project focused on high traffic, short interaction HoloLens interactions which measures the users IPD with Kinect, and then allows automatic setting of the IPD in HoloLens
  • HolographicRemotingHost -- This code sample shows how to create a desktop or UWP app that provides holographic content via remoting.
    Holographic remoting allows your app to host holographic content on a desktop PC, or on a UWP device such as the XBox One, allowing access to more system resources and making it possible to integrate holographic views into existing desktop PC software. This code sample includes desktop, UWP, and UWP XAML projects that all provide remoting content.

This is also a good time to remind everyone of our existing additional GitHub projects:

Tagged:

Comments

• The HolographicRemotingHost sounds really cool. Can it really stream 60fps over the WiFi or is the expected frame rate somewhat lower than that? Is any compression used for it, thus being more efficient if the holograms are small?

• so right now the holographiRemotingHost is just displaying what the Hololens sees on a desktop right? No way to manipulate what is shown in the Hololens via desktop?

• @gorgepir have you seen this page on Holographic Remoting Player?

The Holographic Remoting Player can only be used with PC apps that are specifically designed to support Holographic Remoting.

However, you can create your own custom apps on the PC to support Holographic Remoting that can do cool and creative stuff from a rendering perspective with the power of a full PC behind you.

Note that the docs on the sample code mention:

•Streams content frames back to the HoloLens in real-time

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Thanks for the summary @HoloSheep , but I am not sure I understand what that means (maybe because English is not my first language). What I was asking was if it was possible, with the current holographiRemotingHost release in Git, to draw something on the PC screen, and have it real time displayed on the Hololens. Right now, all that happens is that I see what is being shown on the Hololens, however there are option buttons like "Enable Selection" and "Track Focused Element".

• In cases where there are multiple HoloLenses being used for demonstrations you could use the KinectIPD tool above to quickly capture the IPD and then you could use the FitBox and IPD tool I released to quickly input the number on each individual HoloLens.

Maybe I should contribute the FitBox and IPD tool to the HoloLensCompanionKit. I'm assuming it's open to contributions?

Our Holographic world is here

RoadToHolo.com      WikiHolo.net      @jbienz
    I work in Developer Experiences at Microsoft. My posts are based on my own experience and don't represent Microsoft or HoloLens.

• Actually, I missed the part about the NFC tags. That's an even cooler idea. I'll look into get the recommended reader and tags. VERY cool project guys and very elegant solution to a common problem.

Our Holographic world is here

RoadToHolo.com      WikiHolo.net      @jbienz
    I work in Developer Experiences at Microsoft. My posts are based on my own experience and don't represent Microsoft or HoloLens.

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016

KinectIPD -- A project focused on high traffic, short interaction HoloLens interactions which measures the users IPD with Kinect, and then allows automatic setting of the IPD in HoloLens

>
    Brilliant initially forgot to take my glasses off B) now :)
    My IPD is 71.7 now.
    Initially got errors.
    1. You need daylight on your face, or side.
    2. Your face needs to be at least 600mm to 1200mm for this to work.
    3. Sit still. "Look here" really means look into the Kinect 2 (left side Camera) at over 600mm

The only slight puzzle is the needs Windows 10 Anniversary (build 14393.*) and Visual Studio Enterprise Preview 3 to build

I could not get this to build from same source, getting some sort of Xbox:: dll error?, when using Visual Studio Community Update 3 and (build 14511 Win 10 Tech Preview).
    This code all be due to (build 14511 Win 10 Tech Preview). >:)

Great work <3o:)

• @Jimbohalo10 said:

KinectIPD -- A project focused on high traffic, short interaction HoloLens interactions which measures the users IPD with Kinect, and then allows automatic setting of the IPD in HoloLens

>
    Brilliant initially forgot to take my glasses off B) now :)
    My IPD is 71.7 now.
    Initially got errors.
    1. You need daylight on your face, or side.
    2. Your face needs to be at least 600mm to 1200mm for this to work.
    3. Sit still. "Look here" really means look into the Kinect 2 (left side Camera) at over 600mm

The only slight puzzle is the needs Windows 10 Anniversary (build 14393.*) and Visual Studio Enterprise Preview 3 to build

I could not get this to build from same source, getting some sort of Xbox:: dll error?, when using Visual Studio Community Update 3 and (build 14511 Win 10 Tech Preview).
    This code all be due to (build 14511 Win 10 Tech Preview). >:)

Great work <3o:)

The readme calls out that it is recommended to use LED lights
    <<
    Note: It is recommended to have supplemental lighting (i.e. LED strip lights) on either side of the camera to light the user’s face better.

>

The code is implemented that it will tell the user to move closer or further away to get a correct reading, but if there isn't proper lighting, it will never be able to lock properly.

You have an impressive IPD! :)

• @KevinCol I believe that IPD is used in Windows Hello for Windows 10 for login detection using Kinect 2. So once I had installed the Kinect 2 SDK and reinstalled Kinect 2 Anniversary drivers. I can use very low light 8 watt lamp to login, and the IPD program works!! :DB)

• Hello everyone,

did someone manage to play with HoloLensCompanionKit more exactly with MixedRemoteViewCompositor, I'm trying somehow to use the MRVCPlayer so I can get the Texture2D to use it as mainTexture for a Quad/Cube (Short verison, I'm trying to play the stream on a Quad/Cube)

But for some unknow reason when it Instantiate PlaybackEngine and calls the wrapper MrvcPlaybackCreate it returnes 0 (like it was created) but it doesn't callback the method -> createdHandler

Can someone help me what could I do wrong ? Thank you