Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Is AssetBundleManager Supported on 5.5.0f3 HoloLens Windows Store Platform?

edited December 2016 in Questions And Answers

We need to load content dynamically using AssetBundles.

I'm doing this..
`
using UnityEditor;
public class CreateAssetBundles {

[MenuItem("Assets/Build AssetBundles")]
static void BuildAllAssetBundles()
{
    BuildPipeline.BuildAssetBundles("Assets/AssetBundles", BuildAssetBundleOptions.None, BuildTarget.WSAPlayer);
}

}
`

and getting: Error building Player because scripts have compile errors in the editor

Tagged:

Answers

• @spinteractive,

Could it be a versioning problem between the assets and 5.5 rather than a problem with asset bundle support? I actually get these build errors pretty frequently when using older asset packages (2-3 yrs).

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• Its' something in my project. I got it working with the AssetBundleManager on a clean project with HoloLens build platform. Going to remove everything and start over.

• Cool. Glad it was something easy.

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• edited December 2016

Apparently not.. when I add the HoloToolKit-Unity together in the same project with the AssetBundleManager I get this error when trying to build AssetBundles:

ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
    Parameter name: path2
    System.IO.Path.Combine (System.String path1, System.String path2) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/Path.cs:115)
    AssetBundles.BuildScript.BuildAssetBundles () (at Assets/AssetBundleManager/Editor/BuildScript.cs:19)
    AssetBundles.AssetBundlesMenuItems.BuildAssetBundles () (at Assets/AssetBundleManager/Editor/AssetbundlesMenuItems.cs:27)

• edited December 2016

I don't think AssetBundleManager supports Windows Store Platform yet. Can anyone confirm?

• edited December 2016

It looks like is missing the WSAPlayer build target in the code. So I added it but still getting errors.

• skylerskyler
    edited December 2016

I have the same issue when importing the HoloLens Toolkit with 5.5.0f2.

I was able to successfully build asset bundles when I downgraded to 5.5.0b9.

• edited December 2016

Really? That's interesting.

It's a very vague error most of the time:
    Error building Player because scripts have compile errors in the editor.

I can't even build the run the project on HoloLens because of errors on the editor.

I'm using 5.50f3 with the latest HoloToolkit and the AssetBundleManager located here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/45836

I'm thinking we need to delete the entire AssetBundleManager and write your own code to load assets. Let the Unity team fix this problem.

In the meantime compile assets under another platform and use them in your project.

• edited December 2016

Can anyone recommend something to get going quickly with AssetBundle Building & Loading in my HoloLens project?

• I went real basic and now have BuildAllAssetBundles() working just fine in my HoloLens Unity 5.50f3 project!

• @spinteractive said:

I went real basic and now have BuildAllAssetBundles() working just fine in my HoloLens Unity 5.50f3 project!

Can you detail " went real basic ' ?
    I am running 5.50f3 and running in the same issues as you guys.

• @spinteractive said:
    I went real basic and now have BuildAllAssetBundles() working just fine in my HoloLens Unity 5.50f3 project!

My Error You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
    Error while opening 'myFtpSite/AssetBundles/bundle' - Operation has failed with error 0x80070057: The parameter is incorrect.

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Misc/WWWCached.cpp Line: 278)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at CachingLoadExample.d__6.MoveNext()
    at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)
    at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.$Invoke1(Int64 instance, Int64* args)
    at UnityEngine.Internal.$MethodUtility.InvokeMethod(Int64 instance, Int64* args, IntPtr method)
    (Filename: Line: 0)