Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

HoloLens as a client to receive packets using UDP and IP multicasting

CaiomhinCaiomhin
edited December 2016 in Questions And Answers

Hi everybody! Reading the forum until now has been really helpful, thanks a lot.

I haven't been able to find a solution to the problem I have encountered recently though. In my project, my HoloLens (client-side) is supposed to receive packets from my computer (server-side). The packets are sent using UDP protocol in conjunction with IP multicasting. The part of the code taking care of the client side comes from C# scripts which wraps a C++ DLL. The scripts are part of a Unity project which includes the DLL. Everything is built and deployed smoothly. I can run the application as well and I am able to see the content of my scene. However, my HoloLens app cannot connect to the server and thus cannot receive anything.

I thought the problem was caused by my scripts or my network. I tested them both in a PC-to-PC setup, using Wi-Fi, but it worked well. I then thought that the C++ DLL might be the source of the problem. Unfortunately I don't have access to the source code of the DLL. Nevertheless, since my C# scripts act as wrappers, there shouldn't be any problem on that side, right ? The other thing that makes me think that way is that, since my client is unable to establish a connection, an exception is thrown and the call of that exception is actually made from the DLL. As far as Unity capabilities are concerned, I have enabled InternetClient, InternetClientServer and PrivateNetworkClientServer.

Would someone have any idea or suggestion on what is happening here ?
Thanks !

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• @Caiomhin

There is a related thread HoloLens UDP Server

• @Jimbohalo10

Thanks for the link towards the UDP server post. I will look into that and implement my own client. It would have been really helpful if the DLL would fulfill its job though. Any idea on why it isn't the case ?

• @Caiomhin said:
    @Jimbohalo10

Thanks for the link towards the UDP server post. I will look into that and implement my own client. It would have been really helpful if the DLL would fulfill its job though. Any idea on why it isn't the case ?

Did you get UDP to work? I cannot for the life of me get any UDP to be sent to the Hololens. I can clearly see my packets on the network but Hololens stays silent.

• Same challenge here. We're trying to "remote control" our Hololens-App from a PC.

But yesterday I found this:

unitylist.com/r/azt/mixed-reality-networking

I will try this next week.