Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Project Idea: Creating Virtual Workflows in Mixed Space - Not a Question

So I have this idea for a really great productivity app. As some of you know I'm a UX Consultant by trade. One thing I do a lot of in a space is map up workflows via notecards, stickys etc. I really want to see more apps and not just games.

I was thinking how cool it would be to use my holoLens to create a spatial map of the office and setup marker points in the environment. Using a sticky note concept I would like to place virtual stickies anywhere and link them with lines. (I tend to think of complex product systems in this way).

The cool part would be I could re-use the space and change workspaces or project spaces to see different projects thereby making the space highly re-usable.

So my thoughts are:

1. Create the ability to possibly use some markers with (vuforia)
  2. Create the ability to create virtual 2d / 3d card representations that utilize voice / keyboard input (voice would be quicker)
  3. Create the ability to render the notes etc on a card
  4. Create the ability link point a card / note to another card
  5. Create the ability to swap workspace views.

Thoughts?

Comments

• utekaiutekai ✭✭✭

Think bigger ... think farther reaching ... spend some time in 3D virtual space and it will open up your mind to more possibilities. Most of the apps are just jamming 2D concepts into a 3D virtual space that is mostly unlimited in terms of what you can do there. But to see that, you have to spend time there creating.

• I don't think this is jamming things in 3d space. I think of workflows already as multi-dimensional. You do have to start somewhere however, and while the tech is still cool it still has a long way to go. Most of the stuff we are seeing right now are games, and micro-experiences. I would love to see a full product experience.

• utekaiutekai ✭✭✭

"Most of the apps are just jamming 2D concepts into a 3D virtual space" refers to most of the apps available for HoloLens, your's obviously is not yet available. The important point is until a developer creates and manipulates directly in 3D space, there are some ingrained limitations in play. Create in 3D space, remove the workflow to get some creation to 3D space entirely, do it with the HoloLens rather than just using the HoloLens to display. Of course you'll need a HoloLens, then you can.

• This is a project that I'm currently working on. It's a cross between a flowchart and mind map using 3D space to, initially, design software systems. But could be expanded for any workflow usage.

If all goes well a beta will be published in the next month or so.

• Sounds great @BruceGilham I would love to give it a go:) and provide feedback.

@BruceGilham said:
    This is a project that I'm currently working on. It's a cross between a flowchart and mind map using 3D space to, initially, design software systems. But could be expanded for any workflow usage.

If all goes well a beta will be published in the next month or so.