Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Windows 7

An MSDN page states that the Windows 10 SDK is also supported on Windows 7, though not all tools are supported...

After almost two days of searching through all the posts and entries on the web, I am thinking there is no way I can start learning and developing with the emulator on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 at all. This is a proper win install, though as a boot camp on a MacBookPro.

So, as a final desperate attempt, I wonder if anyone has successfully installed and been running and using the emulator on a win 7 home that they can help me with the steps?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @hmiri,

While it looks like you may be able to develop for HoloLens on your Win 7 home machine if you get the Windows 10 SDK installed, according to the specs page you'll need a Windows 10 Pro x64 machine to run the HoloLens emulator in Hyper-V.

Look under System Requirements.

I'm really sorry, @hmiri. It sounds like you are really excited about getting started with HoloLens.

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

Answers

• james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @hmiri,

While it looks like you may be able to develop for HoloLens on your Win 7 home machine if you get the Windows 10 SDK installed, according to the specs page you'll need a Windows 10 Pro x64 machine to run the HoloLens emulator in Hyper-V.

Look under System Requirements.

I'm really sorry, @hmiri. It sounds like you are really excited about getting started with HoloLens.

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• Thank you James

(I was excited about this, particularly because I was offered a job "on the condition" that I spend one month getting up to speed with HoloLens development, though currently I cannot afford a proper windows laptop plus a win10pro license fee...)

• Hi again James,

Do you do your HoloLens dev work on a proper Win machine or do you have Win 10 Pro installed on a Mac?

From Apple Support pages, I understand MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) supports Windows 10, which I now have, but as seen in the attached image, the specs (especially 8 GB RAM) don't look great, because apparently the emulator would look for at least 8 GB of memory, so not sure if the recommended 8 GB for the emulator refers to the whole machine memory or what should be exclusively available to the emulator?