Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Camera usage in Emulator?

Hi friends,
I did not find yet if the emulator emulates the camera in any form... or if there is any way to emulate the camera.
(e.g. mapping to the web cam or providing a picture or a video stream).
Any ideas or pointers?
Kind regards,

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Req: please provide some type of camera simulation... Eg loading a picture in the host system to feed the camera...
    Sent from my phone
  • Options
    Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

It would help me as well. I don't think a webcam input would work as the emulator won't have the needed depth info. However, at the very least, having the sample rooms textured and viewable would allow a lot of testing scenarios. I'm wanting to do a locatable camera to take shots and see if I can make a perspective correction algorithm using the 3d coordinates provided. Though, I'm sure the hololens team has a lot of their plate already, just something to consider.

• Options

Would using a Kinect sensor (Xbox One) provide the required depth information? Would still need some way of passing the data through or mapping the connection but it would be really useful to test augmented reality type apps without a full hardware kit.

• Options
    Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭

@DavidKlineMS said:
    @DaTruAndi,
    Using the host PC's web cam in the emulator is not a supported scenario.

Thanks,
    David

Thanks for that.
    My interest is in the fact that webcams are supported in Unity 5 and can be supplied in Texture2D. A Unity article has been published with a Unity 5 package to see the output of a webcam onto a Unity window. See the article Unity3d : WebCamTexture Convert To Texture2D.
    Detailed install instructions for VS 2015 developers, we seem to need it, for Unity :D
    Download zip, right click extract all
    Double click on the Unity import package.

Unity starts click New Select 3D and enter the name "WebCamTextureToTexture2D"
    The Unity importer starts, click import all
    Click on Project tab to view the Assets.
    Double click the "Scene" unity icon.
    File -> Save Scene , then Save project.
    Click the Play button above the #Scene Window
    You should see two windows left being Local and right being "Remote"
    You can view the code in VS2015, however Mono Developer will give cursor driven help from the Unity Script manual which VS cant.

Finally the wont run in HoloLens Emulator, because you I cannot attach a USB webcam to the virtual machine via Hyper-Manager.

PS Does anyone know how to convert Texture2D to 3D images programmatically into mesh , for Unity to work with Holographic Tutorial 230 Chapter 7 Spatial Mapping?