Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Hololens Academy vs Hololens tool kit

Hi,

Is there a reason for the difference between the unity packages used for the academy demos, vs the ones used in the Hololens Toolkit?

For example, when trying to create a simple rotation of an object, there is no GestureManager.cs. I can't just use the following code to rotate an object in my new project

// 2.c: Calculate rotationFactor based on GestureManager's NavigationPosition.X and multiply by RotationSensitivity.
        // This will help control the amount of rotation.
        rotationFactor = GestureManager.Instance.NavigationPosition.x * RotationSensitivity;

// 2.c: transform.Rotate along the Y axis using rotationFactor.
        transform.Rotate(new Vector3(0, -1 * rotationFactor, 0));

This is one of the several differecnes I have found. Has anybody found a good tutorial for the HKT? I did see that there are some test files which have helped, but nothing shows how to do a rotation.

Answers

• Options

From my experiences I've found that using the holoacademy packages is a good way to get started, although the tutorials are not updated frequently so a lot of the scripts are outdated. I would use the holotoolkit since it IS updated frequently on the GitHub. Inside the HTK you need to use the InputManager (just drag the prefab onto your Unity scene) instead of the gesture manager to handle any kind of input.

• Options
    edited February 2017

Unfortunately when I do that, I can't call the function:

InputManager.Instance.NavigationPosition.x to get the navigation position of the user's hand.

• Options

@ccyuen is spot on. The Holo Academy is a great learning tool but not a great place to start a project from. This is because HoloToolkit changes almost daily while the Academy content revs about every 3 - 6 months. With this in mind, the Academy authors actually copy the relevant bits out of the Toolkit and embed them in the Academy zip file for each lesson. This means that the Academy and the Toolkit do tend get out of sync over time and then "snap" back together when the content is revised.

Unfortunately this has lead to some confusion, but it was the best tradeoff the team could make. This approach allows the Toolkit to evolve rapidly with community contributions but still allows each Academy lesson to ship as a single simple zip file.

So, my guidance to partners is always "Learn from the Academy, but when you're starting a 'real' project, start with the Toolkit". There is currently no official guild for creating a new project from scratch that uses the Toolkit, but I put an unofficial guide together. That unofficial guide can be found here:

Creating a New Unity Project with the Holo Toolkit

Our Holographic world is here

RoadToHolo.com      WikiHolo.net      @jbienz
    I work in Developer Experiences at Microsoft. My posts are based on my own experience and don't represent Microsoft or HoloLens.