Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

occluded mixed reality devices

Hello - I would like to understand the differences between occluded mixed reality devices and available VR devices available in the market. As per the recent windows developer day update i could understand that the consumer version mixed reality devices will not have interaction with real world and spatial mapping concepts - correct me if i am wrong.

If that is the consumer version that we are going to have i don't see a big difference other than sharing concept. This is all my understanding - please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Best Answer

Answers

• So, let me preface this with a few facts. I don't work for Microsoft, and have no more info than what is publicly available. The information that is public is very, very scarce. The people I have talked to that could possibly be in the know are very careful not to reveal anything.

That said, here is my understanding of how the occluded headsets are different than say, the vive or oculus.

The Mixed Reality Headsets will operate using the Windows Holographic platform. This is the same API set that is currently being used for HoloLens development. There are coming updates to that API set to support the occluded headsets that are coming to market this year. My expectation is we should see these API updates at the end of Feb. around GDC, when the developer kits for the occluded headsets are rumored to start being shipped out.

From what I understand, the occluded headsets will load into a shell, which will be some sort of a virtual room. The inside out tracking that has been announced for these headsets is going to be mostly used for collision detection, so that you don't run into walls or furniture and such. There is not any information right now about what the configurability of the virtual room is.

Any apps that currently work on the HoloLens should work within the Virtual Room. If the app uses spatial mapping, it will be mapped against the virtual room, not the physical one. There are going to be API's as part of the Holographic platform that do feature detection, that will allow you to enhance the experience for different headsets with different capabilities.

I am sure there is stuff that I am missing here, but that's a start....

If you have any questions about the above, let me know.

Thanks,
    Jesse

• @Jesse_McCulloch Thanks for your reply. My questions is little more from the consumer point of view - if they are going to be as same as VR devices like others or there will be any additional features that standout from others.

• edited February 2017

@Jesse_McCulloch It will be great help if you can explain or provide some reference links what exactly means six-degrees of freedom which is different from other VR devices