Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Can't seem to make HoloToolkit sharing examples work

Hi all,

The title says it all. Below are details about setup and issues.

• Latest Unity Beta build 5.6.0b3
  • Latest HoloToolkit as of today 1/5/2017
  • Dedicated router (ASUS RT-N12) with SSID for PC (SharingServer.exe) and HoloLenses to connect and communicate
  • Router's "isolate" feature is turned off (I read this can lead to devices not seeing each other)
  • Manually added PC Firewall Port rules (incoming and outgoing) to allow 20601 through 20605, which seem to be used by the Sharing Service, just in case
  • PC and 2 HoloLens devices connected to dedicated router
  • PC and 2 HoloLens devices are listed in the router's web portal / network map, with IP addresses etc.

Repro steps

• Open HoloToolkit project set build and player settings as instructed in the doc
  • Open sharingwithunet.unity example scene (similar results with the other sharing test scene)
  • Launch Sharing Service ... Shows that a session is open
  • To test locally, pressing Play in Unity connects to the local server fine (server command line shows user joined session). Press Play again to disconnect
  • Build VS solution to a folder, open in VS with proper build settings (Release, X86, Device)
  • Build app to 2 HoloLens devices, both show the app running fine (tap throws little balls)
  • First devices show floating text "Server (new line) Anchored Here (new line) ID string
  • Second device shows text "IP address (new line) Not Anchored (newline) ID string
  • ID strings are the SAME, and floating text objects are NOT positioned at the same place in the world
  • IMPORTANT: devices ARE both seeing each other, and can throw balls (can hear sound of other device throwing balls etc) --- THIS IS GOOD BUT the anchors are not at the same place
  • Server command line never says that a new client connected to the session. Last line says "Created session "Default" with ID 0 on port 20601

I feel like this should work... What do you all think? Thank you!

Answers

• Options

Edited the post with latest results and details

• Options

This sounds like they are connecting but the spatial anchors are off--I've seen the sharing examples not place the anchors in the same location for both HoloLens devices. It's possible the room just isn't very trackable? Or--maybe try and walk around the area a bit with both devices to get a good spatial map of the area before running the test?

ralphbarbagallo.com - flarb.com - @flarb

• Options

The best that I can tell, that demo shares holograms but not positions. Similar to how they show people collaborating in different spaces in some of their videos. Essentially the holograms will be placed relative to the application's start point in the hololens. The app then keeps track of user's relative position to their own holograms and then shares that with other users (via the floating cube heads). Basically, this app is for sharing experiences independent of the physical space. If you've found something different, please let me know. I'm currently trying to figure out how to easily create, place, move and assign ownership to holograms collaboratively.