Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Holograms disappeared in Mixed reality capture

I tried taking pictures and recording when running my own unity deployed APPs - through two ways: Mixed reality capture in device portal and "photo/record" in the main page in hololens device.
Every time the hologram disappeared in the photo or recording but is fine in the Hololens itself (I have checked the "Holograms" on in Mixed reality capture). But holograms can be captured when running original APPs in hololens. Problem only occurred in my own APPs.
So I think there may be something wrong in my unity project. But I followed the official tutorial step by step.
Discussion in Holograms missing during recording or live capture mentioned memory residual error but I still can't solve it.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• ShawnShawn
    Answer ✓

Thanks a lot for your patient help guys.
    I have solved the problem just by change the version of Unity Editor from 5.6.0b2 to 5.5.0f3. It's really a trick troubling me for a long time. :D
    I can use the MRC and Emulator for my own Apps now.

Answers

• When running Mixed reality Capture there is some quality drop that among other things includes dramatic decrease of field of view. It does it in a weird way though. As far as I remember it reports the original fov of the camera to your app's scripts but renders at narrower frustum and then stretches the render to fill the screens. I experienced this behavior when experimenting with my cursor not being in the middle of the viewport but, say, 33% bottom-to-top. When running mixed reality capture I couldn't see the cursor object anymore although its position was strictly calculated based on camera's frustum's runtime values. Could it be that you holograms are not in the centre of the viewport and are thus clipped?

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.

• @stepan_stulov said:
    When running Mixed reality Capture there is some quality drop that among other things includes dramatic decrease of field of view. It does it in a weird way though. As far as I remember it reports the original fov of the camera to your app's scripts but renders at narrower frustum and then stretches the render to fill the screens. I experienced this behavior when experimenting with my cursor not being in the middle of the viewport but, say, 33% bottom-to-top. When running mixed reality capture I couldn't see the cursor object anymore although its position was strictly calculated based on camera's frustum's runtime values. Could it be that you holograms are not in the centre of the viewport and are thus clipped?

Thanks for your answer @stepan_stulov.
    I can see all the holograms(means the decrease of FOV doesn't influence much of the APP running) in hololens device when running Mixed reality Capture. Holograms disappeared only in the vedio or picture I captured.
    And I tested projects from Holographic Academy, including Holograms 101 and Holograms 211. These holograms are in the centre of the viewport, still the same problem.

• Just stating the obvious: do you have the Holograms checkbox ticked on the Mixed Reality Capture page? Also to be completely clear, you are recording Mixed reality Capture in the Device Portal (can bake holograms into the video), and not directly from the device's camera (cannot as it's just a video camera)?

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.

• @stepan_stulov said:
    Just stating the obvious: do you have the Holograms checkbox ticked on the Mixed Reality Capture page? Also to be completely clear, you are recording Mixed reality Capture in the Device Portal (can bake holograms into the video), and not directly from the device's camera (cannot as it's just a video camera)?

Yes I ticked the Holograms checkbox on Mixed Reality Capture page(http://127.0.0.1:10080/Mrc.htm) and clicked "Record" on the same page.
    Another problem of mine may caused in much the same way here: Emulator black screen when deploying Unity APP

• ShawnShawn
    Answer ✓

Thanks a lot for your patient help guys.
    I have solved the problem just by change the version of Unity Editor from 5.6.0b2 to 5.5.0f3. It's really a trick troubling me for a long time. :D
    I can use the MRC and Emulator for my own Apps now.

• I had a similar problem: The holograms are visible in the Hololens but not when streaming them to the Mixed Reality Capture. I fixed the issue by changing the FocusPoint similarly to the Example in this post. If I understand correctly, this code makes sure the hologram in question is always visible.
    Works like a charm, using Unity 2017.2.1p2.