Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

How to connect HoloLens to Azure services.

Hey WHDF,

This is like my third question in a week but I am starting to get the hang of how the Hololens works with everything and maybe it will help someone in the future =). I was wondering though how do you connect the hololens to azure like in:
https://blogs.windows.com/devices/2016/09/15/microsoft-hololens-enables-thyssenkrupp-to-transform-the-global-elevator-industry/

I found out that the HoloLens does not support Azure.servicebus from nuget and that the nuget package that works mobile.client requires you to publish an app to the store for push notifications which is way to much for a fun Poc project.

Does anyone know how to get the HoloLens to connect with Azure and if it's possible with for example the IoT services like in the case?

Thank you already,

Kr,

TvT

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Unfortunately I have been down this path before Microsoft Azure Services are NOT supported on HoloLens. HoloLens startup should be viewed as a Windows Phone on Startup. Although many services exist they are not supported and getting UWP support for Azure does not happen on HoloLens

• @Jimbohalo10 well that is unfortunate, Do you know of any unofficial way to make it work then? Or should i just drop it all together.

• @Tvt said:
    @Jimbohalo10 well that is unfortunate, Do you know of any unofficial way to make it work then? Or should i just drop it all together.

The complexity of using Azure is so high, you have to BUY Technical Support from the Azure Support teams.

Reluctantly I dropped Azure, also note that Azure cannot run the HoloLens Emulator or mobile services as Azure uses virtual space for itself!.

• @Jimbohalo10 yea I figured.. Trying with Rest now but it's not your basic Rest api calls. If I find a way I will post the actual solution. Support unfortunately is not an option.

• @jbienzms thanks a lot. It's a lot to consume though and I am wondering if this would work for the azure.servicebus since you just cannot change every .dll to .Net35

Also the conditional compiling might be a solution for other problems I am facing. I was trying to create a separate .dll but this also seems to have problems with the .net version and it doesn't seem that easy to compile an old .net35 library in VS2015.

It doesn't seem like MS even wants you to do this since they make it such a pain to peform anyways even when using rest..

• TvtTvt
    edited March 2017

@jbienzms How do you make sure that the .dll's are actually exported to the project? When i export it from unity the .dll files do not port with it.

• @jbienzms thanks i already found that one and tried it and it work till you get to the encryption part. You cannot connect to azure without security so it's a no-go for now.

Thanks for all the support!

• I haven't tried this combo personally, but you could try using the REST APIs for service bus + the UnityWebRequest class in unity to make basic HTTP calls. It may be more work that using the SDKs but it may enable something.

• @BillMcCrary haha damn man this is exactly what i am doing right now. it feels kinda hacky but works.

• Hi,
    Did anyone tried to calculate potential Azure consumption for a Hololens development project?
    Regards,
    Marko