Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

XBox One Bluetooth controller pairing issues

Hi,

I recently purchased the XBox One Bluetooth controller. It pairs fine with my PC, works in the Unity editor, but does not appear to be recognized by the HoloLens or by Unity when running on HoloLens.

I suspect it may not be properly paired. Here's what happens:

1. The controller shows up as a Bluetooth device.
  2. I press and hold the pairing button atop the controller until the XBox button starts blinking rapidly, indicating the device is ready for pairing.
  3. I click "Pair" on the HoloLens.
  4. The device appears to pair successfully but the button continues blinking (by contrast, on the PC, when the device is properly paired, the button should no longer blink but should simply remain on while the controller is on).

There is no response in my app to any of the buttons.

Has anyone successfully gotten this pad to work? I'm using the latest Unity HTP.

Thank you,

Bart

Answers

• trzytrzy ✭✭✭

I figured out how to pair the controller but unfortunately, it still does not work with Unity at all as far as I can tell.

I do not have an XBox One console so the procedure was rather annoying (surprised the device was rushed to market like this!) because firmware updates are not supported via Bluetooth (!!!).

Step-by-step, assuming a Windows 10 PC and HoloLens:

1. Download "XBox Accessories" from the Windows Store.
    2. Launch the application. You should see a blank, black window with "Connect a controller to get started" printed in the center.
    3. Purchase a micro-USB cable. Connect the XBox One controller via the micro-USB port on top of the device to your PC.
    4. Make sure the controller is powered on (press the center Home button so that it starts glowing/blinking).
    5. The controller should be automatically detected by the application and the option to upgrade the firmware should appear. Click on it and wait for the upgrade to complete.
    6. From the HoloLens Settings application, proceed to "Devices" to pair the controller.
    7. Press and hold the pairing button atop the controller until it starts blinking rapidly. It should not be detected by the HoloLens.
    8. Click "Pair".
    9. Once paired, the status will change to "Connected" and the blinking will stop.
    10. Try pressing up and down on the left analog stick. The window should respond to this. One of the buttons ("B", I believe) can be used to close the Settings window.

Unfortunately, the controller does not appear to work with my Unity app. Has anyone had any success? It works fine in the Unity editor under Windows 10, however.

• trzytrzy ✭✭✭

It does work with Unity after all -- in Player Settings, Bluetooth and Human Interface Device must be enabled. Some of the axes (dpad, shoulder triggers) are mapped differently than in the Unity editor but not a huge deal for now.

• I appreciate that you posted updates to your own inquiries. Thanks!

• I'm having the same issue, but unfortunately bluetooth pairing still won't work even after I've connected via usb and had the controller recognized via the Xbox Accessories app. The Device Settings control menu says the controller is paired, but the guide button on the controller continues to blink.

• @CHIEFdotJS said:
    I'm having the same issue, but unfortunately bluetooth pairing still won't work even after I've connected via usb and had the controller recognized via the Xbox Accessories app. The Device Settings control menu says the controller is paired, but the guide button on the controller continues to blink.

I had the same issue as well. Rebooted the Windows 10 box and that fixed the issue.

Augment the cloud