Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Hololens and Beacons

I was wondering if anyone had tried to use beacons with the Hololens ? I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to whether it will work or not . Thanks .

Best Answer

• MattFedoCSGMattFedoCSG ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Ok so here is the breakdown.

1) Find and download the .NET 4 Windows.Devices.Bluetooth DLL
    2) In Unity, create the Assets > Plugins > WSA folder and place that DLL in it. When you check the import settings of this DLL, it can be set to 'Any Platform' and it will say 'Native' as the Type, which is fine.
    3) Next, add the DLL I attached to this comment to the Assets > Plugins folder. When you check the import settings of this DLL, you can check it just for WSAPlayer, SDK = UWP, Scripting = Dot Net, and you will see it Managed as a 4.x assembly.
    4) So lets look at some code on the Unity side now. Everything you do to "reference" the DLL, you are going to need to wrap in #if !UNITY_EDITOR because you dont want it to compile.

#if !UNITY_EDITOR
    using HoloBeaconScanner;
    #endif

Next under Start() on your script we can place:

#if !UNITY_EDITOR
            Scanner beaconScanner = new Scanner();
            Scanner.ScannedBeaconEventHandler += BeaconFound;
            beaconScanner.StartScanning();
    #endif

There is also a .StopScanning() function if you make your var global.

And once you are scanning you can just set the even handler to catch that Beacon info:

public void BeaconFound(string str)
        {
            try
            {
                char[] delimiterChars = { '*' };
                string[] components = str.Split(delimiterChars, StringSplitOptions.RemoveEmptyEntries);
                if (components[1] != "0")
                {
                    Debug.Log("[BEACON DETECTOR] : FOUND : " + str.ToString());
                }
            }
            catch(Exception ex)
            {
                //Log error or something else.
            }
        }

So the beacon data comes back as a delimited string. I will update it with a JSON package, but right now it is delimited by a *.

Components are as follows:
    0 = UUID
    1 = Major
    2 = Minor
    3 = TxPower
    4 = Raw Signal Strength in DBm

If the Holo does not find a beacon or encounters an error, it will return:

0000000-0000-0000-0000-0000000000000000

So keep that in mind, and hence why I check for Component 1 to be 0 and ignore it.

I hope this helps someone out there and hope it keeps advancing the Hololens Experience! I will try to keep the DLL up to date! Thanks!

Answers

• @Hannah
    Have you find any solutions?

• No not yet . I may look into buying some and trying them out . @Ankit09_Sangani

• @Hannah
    Thanks for quick response.
    have you try this
    https://github.com/andijakl/universal-beacon
    I tried but always Beacon List Count 0 :(

• @Ankit09_Sangani hi - that repository is for UWP only. Did you create a stub for the DLL for Unity editor ?

• You should be able to set the import settings on the DLL to Windows and then set don't compile. You will be able to access the Dll that way. I will give it a go today and see what happens. Holo is UWP btw.

• I got it working. DLLs coming.

• MattFedoCSGMattFedoCSG ✭✭
    Answer ✓

2) In Unity, create the Assets > Plugins > WSA folder and place that DLL in it. When you check the import settings of this DLL, it can be set to 'Any Platform' and it will say 'Native' as the Type, which is fine.
    3) Next, add the DLL I attached to this comment to the Assets > Plugins folder. When you check the import settings of this DLL, you can check it just for WSAPlayer, SDK = UWP, Scripting = Dot Net, and you will see it Managed as a 4.x assembly.
    4) So lets look at some code on the Unity side now. Everything you do to "reference" the DLL, you are going to need to wrap in #if !UNITY_EDITOR because you dont want it to compile.

#if !UNITY_EDITOR
    using HoloBeaconScanner;
    #endif

#if !UNITY_EDITOR
    #endif

And once you are scanning you can just set the even handler to catch that Beacon info:

{
            try
            {
                string[] components = str.Split(delimiterChars, StringSplitOptions.RemoveEmptyEntries);
                {
                }
            }
            catch(Exception ex)
            {
            }
        }

So the beacon data comes back as a delimited string. I will update it with a JSON package, but right now it is delimited by a *.

0 = UUID
    1 = Major
    2 = Minor
    3 = TxPower

So keep that in mind, and hence why I check for Component 1 to be 0 and ignore it.

I hope this helps someone out there and hope it keeps advancing the Hololens Experience! I will try to keep the DLL up to date! Thanks!

• @MattFedoCSG said:

#if !UNITY_EDITOR
    using HoloBeaconScanner;
    #endif

#if !UNITY_EDITOR
    #endif

{
            try
            {
                {
                }
            }
            catch(Exception ex)
            {
            }
        }

0 = UUID
    1 = Major
    2 = Minor
    3 = TxPower

Thanks !! I cant wait to try this out !

• Hello!
    Where can I find the Windows.Devices.Bluetooth Dll?

Thanks.

• kartikkartik
    edited July 2019

@MattFedoCSG I tried it but still not working with hololens 1. Can you please share the code or unity project, I urgently need it for my project.